What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii 'Bareo Highland' - Picture Progression

Hello,

I thought I'd make a thread dedicated entirely to the growth of a recent addition to my collection, an N. veitchii 'Bareo Highland'. I will be updating this thread as I see fit with pics of its progress.

Enjoy!

Earlier, from the thread, "Windowsill Growing":

This is a N. veitchii 'Bareo Highland' that I recieved in a trade. It has been growing steadily since it arrived in late September; it took no time at all to recover from barerooting and shipping.

IMG_9748.jpg

This pitcher was about 1" tall when I recieved the plant. It is inflating very nicely.

IMG_9751.jpg

This pitcher was the most recent one to open before the plant was shipped to me.

IMG_9752.jpg

IMG_9753.jpg

IMG_9754.jpg

An older, faded pitcher:

IMG_9759.jpg

A tendril that seems to be dropping and beginning to inflate:

IMG_9756.jpg

Growth tip:

IMG_9758.jpg

Now:

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

My current Desktop!
IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

Jimmy

very nice, i need to get a veitchii for my window!

VERY nice!!
I need a highland squat veitchii!!
from my limited experiance they have weird leaves???

VERY nice!!
I need a highland squat veitchii!!
from my limited experiance they have weird leaves???

Thanks again, Zero!
It's true, they do grow rather wavy leaves that are really hairy underneath.

Some updates; pics were taken tonight, and that pitcher is fully developed.

grand044.jpg

grand041.jpg

grand043.jpg

Ah! I want it! Wonderful plant! I can't wait to get my own vietchii. I've got several hybrids but they're not pitchering at this very moment so it's not quite the same. My fusca x vietchii is about the same size but still making lower pitchers - I'm really looking forward to seeing what the intermediate/uppers look like. If the pics on BobZ's site are any indicator, it should be awesome.
~Joe

Are vetchii's ultrahigh or just high?

try intermediate... :)

intermediate highland depending on the species. there is also lowland variety. im looking for a striped or bareo form for my windowsill...just having trouble finding any of a good size XD

Yep, it's hard to find big veitchii's...

As far as their conditions are concerned, I've only heard of purely lowland or purely highland varieties - no in-betweens. I'm not sure if this will be tolerant of more intermediate-highland conditions, or even just intermediate conditions.

Yes looks nice ;-)
Bye for now julian

Thank you very much Julian!

And Welcome to TerraForums! It's good to have some expert growers from the CPUK forum contribute here as well!

May I ask the conditions that it is grown, trying to learn as much as possible to get mine that size and beyond.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I took this quote from my post in another thread:

Ah, my night temps... They are actually determined by how much I open the window at night, how much of a breeze there is, and how cold the air actually is... usually it gets no lower than 45 degrees in the morning on th windowsill, if I can help it, but usually I wake up to fing the digital thermometer reading somewhere around the low-mid 50s. That's in the early morning; for the rest of the night, it has usuall been getting around the upper 50's, but recently it's been getting cooler. We've had our first few nightly lows be below freezing within the past week.

These temps havent really changed, as far as my windowsill is concerned, because I keep the window less-widely opened. At night, the temps have been getting into the 30's and 40's in the early morning. Humidity is usually very low, around 20-40%, but I think the relative humidity has been going up a little higher in the early mornings due to the low temps.

In any case, All of my plants seem to love these conditions! Please take a look at the thread entitled, "Glabrata Experiment" - even with low humidity, my N. glabrata is inflating pitchers and growing fast!

Regards,

Jimmy

Update:

IMG_0143.jpg

Sorry this is on its side. :I
IMG_0147.jpg

Hair-n-Nectar!
IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Wow, a very hairy plant. Nice job.
On a side note, how is that densiflora doing for you?

It's not doing bad! :D It should recover, hopefully soon.

IMG_0112.jpg

I repotted it into a fir bark/LFS mix, and gave it a little more root/stem support. It didn't take well to the lower humidity, and wilted slightly even with a plastic bag on, but now it's got its turgor back.
:D Thanks again!

Wow, the humidity did that? Hope it pulls through quickly for you. Thanks for the seedlings, they are doing great.

I want one of those Veitchiis soo bad! Great looking plant!

nice jimmy, my densiflora is growing really well it seems. and i have a tiny veitchii.....but its the batu lawi variety

Back