What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glabrata experiment

That will be a beaut when it gets some size. Lotsa pitchers will be hanging out no doubt. Mine hasn't activated a singe node for some reason. It's about 3 feet tall, and not even a basal. I really want some nodes to wake up.

i only have several nodes on mine because of that mite attack, for every leaf that had been damaged, a node activated, so i was looking at around 11 growth points including the main one, but its down to about 5 active growth points i think now...still gonna be a bush

DSC05052.jpg

Holy crap. How many nodes were activated?

10 originally, i have to recount and see how many there are now

Get ready for a glabrata bush, haha.

Cant resist but to post another pic of it...the color is coming out amazingly well in it, it terminated a couple of the nodes though, but thats fine...its got plenty more
Neps002.jpg

Nice plant, looks odd with all those downward turning leaves.

its been quite awhile...mine still has not vined, but i think its because it hasnt needed to...light and conditions are favorable for highlanders in the greenhouse...definitely not starved for light by any means, and is just getting nicer and nicer....cant wait for it to vine already though. it aborted all of the additional growth points except one...so for now it is just a two growth point plant, but thats fine by me...less energy being sapped from eachother...so here it is now...

P7180137.jpg

P7160086.jpg

P7180126.jpg

P7180133.jpg

P7180134.jpg

P7180135.jpg

Amazing colors :D
I definately want one of those :p

another update :) the pitcher shown before has died now but it has a several new nice ones....each one getting bigger than the last...should start vining soon

P1010013-9.jpg

P1010014-10.jpg

P1010010-7.jpg

and here is a baby seedgrown glabrata that i got from zero as a gift a couple-few months ago, sharing a pot with a baby seedgrown gymnamphora also from him, neither has skipped a beat.
P1010022-2.jpg

P1010020-3.jpg

What kind of soil do you guys use?
My glab doesnt seem to be growing at all :(

my older glab is in peat/lfs/perlite/osmunda fiber/horticultural sand/orchid bard.....
my baby one is in orchid bark/peat/lfs/perlite

So pretty airy stuff like hamata likes?
Got mine in 50%peat 50% lfs/perlite atm but it's quite compacted compared to the stuff i see other ppl use.

i would definitely atleast add some more perlite to the mix....the top layer IMO is better with a high amount of LFS (atleast when the plant is older) because at a point, adventually the plant will only pitcher when its tendrils are in a humid location...so when they rest in LFS, boom. haha.
smaller plants dont seem to mind as much.

Guess ill have to repot it then, atm theres no lfs on the top.

How is the Highland Glabrata doing?
If it does pretty good then maybe I'll get one.

Back