What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. alata pics

I know these are common but I am super happy with the way this one is growing so I thought I should post some pics.

Pitcher from one of the basal shoots.
IMG_7171.jpg

Pitcher that just opened up a day or two ago with two pitchers from the basal shoots.
IMG_7172.jpg

again
IMG_7175.jpg

Are you sure it's not a mislabeled N. x ventrata?

Ah, ok. The bigger pitcher looks a lot like the pitcher my baby ventrata has.

your media looks dry-ish
dont know for sure though.

your media looks dry-ish
dont know for sure though.

thats the top layer of sphagnum moss, it is on the dry side as I waited to water after I took the pics.

You normally can't actually tell whether its Ventrata or Alata until they get to a stage where they make pitchers either with spikes/frills, or without. It looks too young to tell to me. I have a pure strain Alata seedling that is making similar pitchers, simply due to how young it is. And it is definitely pure strain.

This is what my Alata's pitchers look like, almost like yours but with more color. This was a neglected Nep i took in, now doing very well..:-D
CPsnepsalata008.jpg

CPsnepsalata010.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics kinda hard to get good ones when pitchers are behind other plants in my jungle of a lowlander grow chamber.. LOL!!!!

Look beyond the pitcher to the leaf and you will see there is no distinct petiole. N. alata has a distinct petiole while N. ventrata is in between the strap leaf of N. ventricosa and the clear petiole of N. alata.

The other thing you need to realize is that for about 25 years now. Deroose has sold thousands and thousands of N. ventrata around the US at garden centers and home centers labelled as N. alata. They continue to do so today. http://www.derooseplants.com/en/select_plant_details.asp?PlantWebInfoId=59

I think it's pretty safe to agree that when Tony id's a Nep...he has id'd it correctly.

It is ventrata as tony said. Just as he pointed out the leaf petiole in alata is not present..I hate when people distribute miss IDd nepenthes or plants in general.

If you look closely, it's not mis-ID'd - the name is listed Nepenthes 'Alata' on their website or abbreviated as N. 'Alata' on tags, and by plant nomenclature, that's different that Nepenthes alata (or to be really proper, Nepenthes alata.) It's our own faults for not being informed! :) I had one of these once, but it had some sort of pitcher deformity so I gave it away when I ran out of room. I believe the actual parentage might be alata x (alata x ventricosa) - the plant is named after the seed parent, which was an N. alata.
~Joe

My point being that for the 5 bazzillionth time someone fairly new has gotten a piece of this plant and in their collection it is called N. alata, regardless if Deroose has it 'Alata' makes no difference. If people are going to go around trading, giving away, selling this plant believing it is the species, then it needs to be corrected whenever it pops up.

Oh I agree with you there Tony, it is foolish - just playing Devil's Advocate, I guess.
~Joe

My point being that for the 5 bazzillionth time someone fairly new has gotten a piece of this plant and in their collection it is called N. alata, regardless if Deroose has it 'Alata' makes no difference. If people are going to go around trading, giving away, selling this plant believing it is the species, then it needs to be corrected whenever it pops up.

Hey Tony, so what is mine then in the pics?? Even if its not a Alata i dont care, i took it in it was in really bad bad shape back in May and now its growing and picthering very well, i was told by the person it was an Alata and thats what i thought it was.. :blush::blush: I have not used this plant for trading, giving away or anything, i did however take a cutting from it to root "for myself" and thats doing good as well.

Little hard to say for certain from your photos. Could you post a few more of the plant itself? Some interesting coloration on the pitcher you have shown.

Also any kind of background info is helpful. There are a fairly limited variety of plants produced for garden centers, big box stores etc.

Not a problem Tony, will snap pics tomarrow and get um posted for yaz, i have no idea on the back ground of this Nep ??? other than what i was told by the dude i got it from just that it was called an Alata, it was not taken care of properly and i ended up getting it given to me it was almost dead when i got it. I will take as many good pics as i can of the whole plant and the pitchers.

Back