What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heating a terrarium for Nepenthes Rajah

well...there is a bit of overlap...but not too much. THis info is from Charles Clarke's book. Villosa generally grows plenty at higher altitudes than the rajah. Yes...there are some which grow at rajah's altitude and yes...there is the x kinabaluensis. But, villosa's dense population is at higher altitudes. The lamii is apparently the nep that lives at the highest altitude than any.

Lamii is supposedly the highest growing nep, yes. But, Rajah's location is at the boundaries of ultrahighland-highland, and as you said, there is more than likely an overlapping area, which would still suggest that Rajah is an intermediate between highland and ultrahighland. but not a TRUE ultrahighlander, which i know it is not, but deffinitly appreciates the colder nights.

One of my last and final questions, how long does it take a rajah to make each pitcher? like a pitcher every two months or.....?

I think you guys should stop debating before a mod steps in o.o

Its a healthy debate. Lol. Anyways, it depends on a few things evergreen, age, conditions, and probably what its growing in. They can take a month, to a few months I imagine.

I keep my baby rajah right next to my bedroom window which remains open or at least cracked all the time. It puts out a new leaf at least once a month. The temperature rarely gets above 65F in my bedroom, and is in the low 50s at night. I imagine the breeze that the plant is exposed to can be as low as 40F, as it's pretty cold outside here in Washington. Mine seems to be growing faster (or maybe just larger) since the winter weather set in, but that could be due to better lighting.
~Joe

So you guys are right, i do need a cooler, does the frozen waterbottle trick work?

I believe a large bottle of frozen water with a fan blowing over it might work, but it depends on if your terrarium is closed off or what. Cooling isn't an issue here >_<. I use a box fan in my window to pull cold air into my room. I can get my room down to about 45-50F at night, and still manage to warm it up to about 75-80F in the day using nothing but house temp and the fluorescent lights on my growrack which is just one of those cheap 40$ coldframe mini greenhouses from Lowes.

If you have a small tank like mine (10 gallon tank), it most definitely works!

my rajah came today! i'll try to post pics later...

Back