What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Cold is too cold for ventrata?

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of small ventratas from cuttings that are quite happy out on my porch and I am wondering when I should start worrying about low temps. The lowest temp I see in the long term forecast is 42 is that too cold or can they take colder temps as long as they stay above freezing.

Thanks
Ktulu

That exceeds my 50's F! Can you bring them inside and grow under a light at room temp?

If the plant dies it is too cold. LOL :p

Seriously though, I have had ventricosa take temps to freeing and be fine. A little frost burned but fine.

I am looking to not have to grow them under lights if possible. I would rather use mother natures light then have to pay electricity costs for them. Plus I don't really have a great place to grow them as I have a very small cell, I mean apartment.

It rarely reaches freezing here from what I have been told by the natives, last winter it never got that cool but that's my only experience with what the locals refer to as "cold", though I am skeptical that it exists down here.

My advice would be to just keep a close eye on temps every night. If it looks like it is going to snap cold then pull the plant in for the evening and place it back outside in the morning.

Also, careful with watering, cooler temps mean the water stays in the media longer. Do not want to get soggy roots.

Awesome thanks for all the help.

No worries

Back