What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Miranda Peristome Nectar

I like how every ridge of the peristome seccretes a little ball of thick necter at the small tooth-like termination. I thought you all might want to see it too.

IMG_1136.jpg

Jimmy :banana2:

(Anyone can let me know if they want more pics!)

I love Miranda, yet haven't managed to pick one up yet. You should put more pics up, I think it's an underrated plant.

Ok, you asked for it! Lol!

grand047.jpg

grand048.jpg

grand049.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

I gotta tell you, seeing you growing neps in ambient humidity in NM has me real tempted to try to acclimate all my neps to ambient humidity here in Utah. I would have never considered it, but it seems to work well for you!

I really do love that plant. It is simple, but so beautiful. I must get myself one!

@ Sasha: I would wholeheartedly recommend it! I got mine from ilbasso here on TerraForums; maybe you could contact him sometime and see if you can work something out. He's apparently got Mirandas groing up to his ears!

@ Nightsky: I never would have considered it myself, had it not been for TerraForums! I have to admit, I've taken windowsill growing a little farther than I've seen most people go. And I think that there's something about the natural aspect of the lighting and breezes that helps Neps thrive on my windowsill - they are definitely a lot better off there than in a terrarium, which I kept all my Neps in, up until a few months after joining TF. If you do decide to window-grow your Neps, just make the transition slowly and cautiously. I plant to grow some rarer German plants on my windowsill soon :)banana2:), but I'll be sure to harden them off slowly. If that goes well, I'll have more to tell you about transitioning your Neps from the growrack to the windowsill. I might just have to make an entire thread about "How to Successfully Grow Neps on Your Windowsill," Lol!

Yes... but... they also need close to 12 hour photoperiod. So you'll need supplemental lighting for the next half year, or they'll stop pitchering.

Jim,

The way the windows are aet up is so that, in the summer, they are in shade most of the time. With winter coming around, they will have a shorter photoperiod, but will also get more intense light.

We'll see how that goes. I'll post pics from time to time.

I also agree, windowsill growing is the way to go! I only have north facing windows in my apt. and all of my nepenthes are doing very well (I supplement them with (2) 100 watt equivalent CFL's all day long.) I would say that most highland nepenthes can get very acclimated to low humidity conditions. Really nice Miranda. I must get my hands on one someday soon.

Mirandas are fantastic plants.

I've seen pitchers so large on them they rival the largest truncata pitchers.

Unfortunately not on MINE, but the Miranda at the Roger Williams Greenhouse (stewareded by the NECPS) had pitchers that were 17-18" lid to base. Just HUGE.

my miranda refuses to pitcher : / It gets a 13 hour photoperiod and my T5's have turn it's leaves red/bronze and still it does not pitcher:(

Updates:

IMG_7282.jpg

IMG_7285.jpg

A few days after the above pics were taken:

IMG_7293.jpg

IMG_7294.jpg

And then it starts to get kinda disgusting, these huge gobs of opaque, ant-eaten, syrupy nectar unevenly lining the peristome. I didn't take pics of that, but the ants that live on the windowsill make a mess of the otherwise pretty nectar drops.

Back