What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immature Blackening Pitchers

I noticed the undeveloped pitcher on it right now seems a little dark(black) on the tip. what could cause this? is it too late for this pitcher?

My days temp is 69 F
night is 62 F

humidity is 100%

i've sprayed the terrarium but never watered it

Soil/Substrate: Sphagum Moss and Coconut fiber

Hours of sunlight: 9 1/2h

It is the humidity. Very high humidity all the time will be harmful as it will make your plants vulnerable to fungus and your plants will become fragile. What plants are you growing? No nepthenes needs this kind of humidity. I am growing a hamata with lows of 20% humidity.

The terrarium could also be overheating when it is in the sun. Try and move your plants out of the terrarium. Many plants are a lot tougher than you expect.

My terrarium is usually 99% from late afternoon to morning 7am, When I come back home at about 4 it's down to 87% Humidity, is this till too much, i'm scared for my plants now, there is this huge pitcher thats been inflating for almost a month and hasn't opened yet. Is it normal to take that long? Its about 7cm tall.

Correct me if I am wrong, but highlanders are more tolerant of (and accustomed to) a humidity increase at night. I doubt that the humidity will kill the pitcher, especially since it has one month's development behind it.

What Nepenthes is it? Could it just be some normal coloration of the pitcher during development?

xvart.

Highlanders do indeed appreciate high humidity, at night - but constant 'round- the- clock high humidity isn't good for them for reasons listed above. In their natural environments, they will experience a drop in humidity during the day as temps rise, which also increases air movement (wind).

What Nepenthes is it? Could it just be some normal coloration of the pitcher during development?

xvart.

It's a highland truncata, and I highly doubt it's a "black-tip" truncata.

It's a highland truncata, and I highly doubt it's a "black-tip" truncata.

Heh. I only said that because your original post was ambiguous about it being "dark(black)." I was leaning more toward the dark side, but I get your point. How long have you had the plant?

xvart.

Have you transplanted it recently? Are you absolutely positive nothing in the mix contains fertilizer?

i transplanted it about two weeks ago and yes i'm certain there's no fertilizer. i've had it since i joined the forum.

Ah - most likely it is due to the recent transplant. I've noticed most of my neps go through a 'shock' period after transplant where pitchers suffer or are aborted.

Is it kept in the same conditions that it was in before the transplant? If so, this will induce less stress upon the plant making for a quicker recovery.

I grow both my highland and lowland truncata in 15-75% humidity and they pitchure on every leaf.

I'm getting a bit worried with everyone saying 99% humidity all the time is bad..., I'll try reducing the humidity to about 80% during the day, is that still too much? I have a new pitcher thats about 3 inches in height and has been developing for about a month... is this normal? I'm very paranoid.

yeah, @ 100% humidity the plants can't 'breath'. they need to let out moisture to pull up more from there roots. This is how I understand it but I may be wrong. Any of you experts out there care to chime in?

yeah, @ 100% humidity the plants can't 'breath'. they need to let out moisture to pull up more from there roots. This is how I understand it but I may be wrong. Any of you experts out there care to chime in?

Actually, I'd like to know this also. I've never fully understood how humidity affects plants, only that it does. I always assumed (probably wrongly) that it's important only to keep the plant from losing moisture faster than it can replace it. So what's the real story?

high humidity with no air circulation is bad

high humidity with good air circulation likely is no big deal

small terrariums do not have good air circulation unless they do not have a top.....

Back