What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the biggest pitcher ever recorded?

• Thread starter evergreen
  • Start date
I don't mean the species but an exact plant and a picture if possible. Do people actually document this stuff?

I bet there are a few photos out there with people wearing N. rajah pitchers for hats or something. I don't know if there's a Guinness Book entry on it, though.
~Joe

I don't mean the species but an exact plant and a picture if possible. Do people actually document this stuff?

I would have to agree that it's Nepenthe rajah. Supposedly, there are pitchers that can hold a couple liters of water . . .

haha store your emergancy kit water in your pitchers! we had a "shake down drill" at school today. I was thinking if we could have our neps outside with like lotsa water and live :]

haha store your emergancy kit water in your pitchers! we had a "shake down drill" at school today. I was thinking if we could have our neps outside with like lotsa water and live :]

Unopened pitchers in the wild have often served as emergency sources of water. The fluid is near sterile until the pitcher opens . . .

my guess would be tuncataXmerrilliana. it was bred to be big.

rajahM.jpg

Now THAT'S a big pitcher!! :0o:

IF, it's not photoshopped............

thanks for posting that xvart. I was going to look for that thread.

i submit the newly discovered species.................. Nepenthes mailbagus.........an isolated population found in Montana of all places......known to feed on unwary schipperkes....approximate volume 35 gallons

78d19604.jpg

548580d6.jpg

51fce115.jpg

I found this picture of a sizeable N. Jamban online...

5m38ey

This N. merrilliana reportedly held almost three liters of water.

xvart.

I saw a picture on that forum that shows a picture of a N. merrilliana that is bigger then that.
I think it's next to a 5 gallon bucket and about the same size. It's huge.

Back