What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicalcarata conditions

i was wondering, for a bical, i wanted to grow this as a windowsil plant for now. my room temperature right now(winter) is a bout 66F and a 79% humidity with about 11 hours of daylight(not dirrect).

could it grow here or would i need heatlamps n' stuff?

I think you'd have more luck in slightly warmer conditions, that humidity should be good enough though.

Also, I hope you have a big window as bicalcs are quick growers and get huge.

I got some big windows so i think i'll do fine, thanks!

(wanted to make sure before i go and order one so i dont see it die the next day after i get it)

Bical gets huge evergreen, larger than i believe you think, largest growing plants in the genus (not pitchers, just the plant itself), they can grow 20 meters into the forest canopy, 3.5 cm Internodes and 40cm long internodes, and gets about 8 feet in diameter
Bicalcarata likes hot muggy conditions 75-90ºF Constant with high humidity, and needs a huge pot. hates being disturbed.

Remember, HUGE. If you're looking to grow this pant long term, you'll need a greenhouse.

I'd say considering the time of year and your temp, you'll probably do fine without supplemental heating, but i'll leave that up to the experts.

http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/nbical.htm

Judging by that I'd say you can get away with those conditions, however Kris is right. If you want your bicalc to thrive, pump up the heat and the humidity.

how fast does it get "huge"? does lower temp/ humidity slow growth? i could probly grow it until it get 5 ft tall and then maybe need a green house. is there any ways to "prune" it if possible?

cutting the vine when it actually vines. and by the time its 5 feet tall , it will probably be about 4 feet in diameter or more. im not 100% sure how fast it grows though

GP_Princess's bical is growing in almost 90 degree temps day time with 89% humidity strong birght light for 12hrs and at night its 100% humidity with 80 degree temps. And Kris is right it hates being repotted.. When i repotted hers it didnt stress to bad at all only the lower old leafs with old pitchers died off but within 1 week it was back to normal and has put out several new leafs and new pitchers and is just buzzing right along like clock work.. :-D

cutting the vine when it actually vines. and by the time its 5 feet tall , it will probably be about 4 feet in diameter or more. im not 100% sure how fast it grows though

THis wont kill or stunt the plant will it?

I doubt i could grow bical in a hanging basket...

I have heard of growing bicalcs in less than ideal conditions to slow their growth. However they are notoriously quick growing. One option is to grow it until it gets too large, then trade it away for massive quantities of smaller plants or ebay it for massive quantities of money. Although, keep in mind that shipping such a huge plant is no small endeavor.

I have heard of growing bicalcs in less than ideal conditions to slow their growth. However they are notoriously quick growing. One option is to grow it until it gets too large, then trade it away for massive quantities of smaller plants or ebay it for massive quantities of money. Although, keep in mind that shipping such a huge plant is no small endeavor.

what about cuttings? could i trade cuttings for smaller plants on the forum?

sure, the diameter of bicalcarata will be plenty huge even with cutting.

It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind about the bical and are trying to justify it by asking questions on how to keep from shooting up and becoming the giants that they're destined to become. Why not go with something smaller?

I grow my bical at intermediate/highland condtions. Day temps are around 80F and night is around 65F. THe plant does grow slower...but its good enough for me. For the past 1 year it has been growing at an average of 75F during day and 60F during night. Recently last month when I moved in to my new apartment, the temps during day went up almost to around 80-82F and the bical suddenly accelerated in growth rate and size...the newest leaf it made is 12 inches long. The leaf before it was around 7-8 inches. I guess it also depends on the clone you get. SOme clones (like mine) seem to be pretty tough and take highland conditions pretty well. However, others might be stricter and require hotter temps. But one thing is for sure....this plant does require and PREFER lowland conditions for longterm success.

ugh, you guys are making bical sound like it will outgrow you conditions in a year. It has almost been a year with my bical and the only change is pitcher size.

I'd imagine that's probably because you're keeping it in less than ideal conditions like Varun mentioned. If you were to kick it into a lowland greenhouse, you'd have a monster on your hands in no time.

Yes, Ant, there is an experiment online, with bicals, they put one in ideal condtions and another in lesser conditions.

Results:

Lowland Conditions:
Grew: 87.9% Foliage and Pitchers

Higland Conditons
Grew: 54.7% Foliage and Pitchers

if you keep a bical root bound in a small pot it will stay smaller. each time i repot my bicals, they have huge leaf size jumps.

if you keep a bical root bound in a small pot it will stay smaller. each time i repot my bicals, they have huge leaf size jumps.

Doesn't root binding kill the plant long term?in a small pot could roots be cut to fit?

um, carnivoure. What was the starting size of both, plants? or the time span they were grown like that? I am saying a bical wont just fill up a window in a single year, and if kept in not so ideal conditions is a very nice plant.

Back