What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nep too close to terrarium wall?

I have my rajah in a terrarium planted right up against the glass wall and it has a leaf/pitcher forming against it. i was wondering, would it be getting scrunched growing against a wall and die or will it find a way to grow beside or up against the wall?

It should adapt. The leaf and/or pitcher may end up deformed because of it, but if all other conditions are good it should grow anyway. Personally, I like to keep mine a little bit away from obstructions in order to facilitate air flow.

In my experiance with neps, whenever a leaf touched the wall of my terrarium the plant aborted the pitcher forming on that leaf, even if I moved it away. I've never had a rajah though, so it may not be the same.
I would definately reccomend moving it away from the glass, but don't expect it to pitcher on that leaf.

Good luck!

Matt

Is it literally planted in the terrarium or is it in a pot where you can freely move it?

it is literally planted in there, should i transplant it into the middle or would the plant be in shock and the leaf would die?

why would you plant it in the terrarium evergreen
that is just asking to kill it
Neps, especially rajah require good drainage. if you wanted to plant in the terrarium, you should have just put the pot in the media so you can move it when you wanted.

I gota agree with Kriss this type of plant should not be planted in a terrarium but you can keep it in the pot in a terrarium if its large enough.

It seems to be growing pretty well right now, if it outgrows the terrarium i'll make sure to grow it in a pot. thanks for the warning!

evergreen why prolong it
its growing well for NOW
but how long until the non drained terrarium causes the plants roots to rot?
how long until the plant dies from being grown in poor conditions, how long have you had the plant?
how can you say the plant is growing well, if you have only had the plant for a few weeks to a month if its been that long?
it takes many months to determine if a plant is truely growing well, because it can take that long to adjust to conditions. Take my advice, and put it in a 6" pot with some WELL DRAINED media. for the good of the plant, not your "viewing" pleasure.

I'm going to do what you said but i had a question. How do the plants in the wilds media drain? are they on rocks so the water just splashes right off or something?(not that i'm questioning your experience or anything)

they get drainage because the earth isnt limited to a small area like the soil is in your terrarium. the water is able to continue to drain. and there are multiple plants around it that use the water so it doesnt constantly sit in a boggy soup of death. they grow as epiphytes or on rocky outcrops or on the ground in moss. water doesnt just sit ontop of the soil evergreen, it sinks through. remember, the earths crust is very deep. not just a few inches like the terra

They have very airy soils, containing rocks, and various other light materials. Sirkristoff is right, the first few months I though my mixta was doing well, but just this months its been gorwing wildly. I`ve had it for a few months now. Also a rajah might be more finicky than a mixta, so it might take longer for it to adjust, if it does.

Well it's been hammered already - but yes definitely take it out and pot it up. Rajah is quite finicky, a highlander/ultrahighlander, and thus requires excellent drainage. Guaranteed it will die planted in the terrarium.

My brother is an idiot.

thats mean nepfreak. >_< is evergreen really your brother? if so, maybe you can convince him to take the plant out and POT it and place it in the terrarium if anything else.

You convinced me Sirr, i told you that in my last post. You have the right to call me an idiot for not doing the propper research but now i'm informed and i plan on making no other mistakes like that. I'm trying to grow sphagnum moss right now!

Back