What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pest help needed, tried systemic insecticide.

Hey Trent and Michelle,

In my experience this pest has two forms, and may be two different pests. For me, they always appear together. There are the white dash things, and also the round scale-like things that really stick to the leaves. They may have some symbiotic relationship, are the same thing, or just like the same food, but they are always together, which I think is causing some of the confusion here. Until this confusion is really sorted out, I will refer to them as the Hawaiian Whitefly/Scale plague. :)

Max

Hey Max,
The brown shield like pest may be brown scale. We have seen it on orchids without the whitefly egg cases in association. The next time our Ag Agent inspects the nursery I will bring up this topic. He can send specimens to the lab for exact ID (scientific name), but we don't have these pests in our nursery anymore. I would have no specimen to give! In fact, our inspector compliments us on how pest free we keep our nursery (sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity to brag a little). Also, we are California Certified--the toughest nursery standards in the USA.

FOr over 2 yrs...my setup has been completely pest free. No issues whatsoever. I am really worried if this pest has spread to my highlanders. I have already seperated the heavily infested N.alata and N.fusca from all others. ANother interesting note. There was an older dying pitcher on my campanulata (same source). THe plant itself has NO visible pests anywhere...but interestingly...the dying pitcher had tons of these pests on the drying up/decaying part of the pitcher.

I guess I gotta go for it. I have too many stakes in this and I cannot afford for my highland shelf to get infected in any way. That will just shatter my CP hobby. I have too much at stake to loose it due to a couple of plants.

I will buy orthenex on ebay and probably disinfect the entire enclousure once i get it. lol! I may have to air out my apartment by opening the balcony at -12 C but its necessary. lol!

I guess I gotta go for it. I have too many stakes in this and I cannot afford for my highland shelf to get infected in any way. That will just shatter my CP hobby. I have too much at stake to loose it due to a couple of plants.
In the fall / winter of 2007, I did a number of trades. The following spring I had a severe infestation of some bug that I was tardy in identifying. Multiple, spaced pesticide applications eliminated the pest (but not before I lost a few plants). It usually takes some severe incident like this to wake me up and realize that:

- 1) any new arrival is a potential source of bad news (insect pest, fungal disease, etc) and
- 2) it's always the right time to remain vigilant and inspect the plants very closely.

Back