What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New N. Hamta

elsantaclause

A windowsill grower
Hey guys my new hamata just came today. Its a wistuba clone 1. Any tips you guys got besides keeping humidity high will be appreciated. All the pitchers that it came with were black and dead but leaves look healthy. It is currently in a 4 inch pot with live lfs as a top dressing. Thanks Pyro

heres a pic half dollar shown for comparison.
DSC02522.jpg

Um, grow it a bit colder than regular highlanders, I believe. Congratulations.

A temperature drop at night is very important, especially when the Nepenthes is young -- nothing especially cold, but a distinct Tb drop nonetheless (something along the lines of a 10-20˚ difference from that of the day). I would simply ensure that that occurs regularly and everything should be fine . . .

ok i can get that for sure. One thing is do they constantly need high humidity? My humidity goes down to 50% in day and up to 100% at night but it has live lfs to help

That should be fine. I would mist it once or twice during the day to ensure high humidity. The thin leaves are fairly sensitive, especially in N. hamata . . .

i think u bought the one, theyellowdart wanted to buy..

lol no i didn't get mine from kristoff

Thanks can't wait till it puts on some size and pitchers =)

nice plant elsanta, no my hamata that i had up for trade was a clone 3 from wistuba.
Elsanta, i suggest baggying it, as mine blackened almost immediately after it arrived from pyro, but it could just have been that i seperated the basal. mother plant died, ended up with the basal. but yeah
they are BEASTLY growers
the one i traded out almost died, then put out like 4 or so new leaves in a month. it was crazy
now my seedgrown is taking off like mad.
under 2" and showing signs of mature lowers, still small pitchers though.

how long did you baggy yours for? I can't wait for mine to acclimate and start growing its pretty exciting lol

If you insist upon using a baggie on your plant (I have never done so myself), definitely ensure that the N. hamata doesn't get cooked. That accident can happen all too quickly in a closed system . . .

idn im thinking about it but i think my humidity is high enough

I had read somewhere about an alternative to the baggy method that you might want to try. Somebody said somewhere to use those small clear plastic containers they keep berries in. The plastic is completely clear, and the wholes are small enough to keep humidity in, but large enough to keep some air circulation going, which I hear Hamata desperately requires. I have not tried this method, but found it in my research on Hamata. I really want one. :-(

idn im thinking about it but i think my humidity is high enough

Another consideration is to use a 2 liter soda bottle with the bottom and lid removed. I recall using that method with my first plants as a kid and it was successful . . .

Back