What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Might be too wet, need your opinions

So, I've had my spect x aristo for almost two since Friday, and it's still kind of wet. x_x The mix was supposed to be 50/50 sphagnum/orchid bark, but I may have put in too much sphagnum (the good kind from Better-Gro). It came bareroot, so it may not rot, but I'm no expert. I'm thinking of carefully pulling it out with sphagnum still with it (its roots weren't very long) and try to modify the soil, but I'm hesitant to do it. What would you do?

You could have used pure Better-Gro orchid moss, and the Nep would be fine. Don't worry about it; let it be. The reason you think it is probably too wet is because it is in a terrarium (correct?) and LFS takes FOREVER to dry out in most terrariums.

...Oh o.o

That obviously isn't the same with the Mosser-Lee brand. xD How long does it take for you?

I used to water plants in my terrarium once a week, and that was too often. Nothing rotted, because I removed all the 'wastewater', so they weren't standing in water.

Now, with a LL terrarium that gets into the 90's whenever I turn the lights on, top dressings of LFS need watering once a day, but pots of LFS get dry in about four days. My lights are CFLs that actually hang inside the terrarium, so they create heat and dissipate humidity pretty fast, drying my medias faster than most terrarium setups would.

If you are concerned, just ease up on the watering and do it less frequently.

xvart.

Um, I've yet to water it.

Back