What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tropical plants need to be moved

Ant

Your one and only pest!
hey, I have to move all my neps and other tropical plants into my basement today. the only light they will have is 4 greenhouse tubes witch will be 6ft away from them. I know this isn't enough but will they be able to last till the end of x-mas day? all the other conditions will remain the same as where they grow. I am really worried since last year It was only for a week.

can't you get them closer?
seems like that too long, but I haven't had any experience with this.

Not if I find some thing to hang below the lights.

you can't move the lights?
what are greenhouse lights?
most shoplights have a place to hang them. You can get hooks and chain at walmart, home depot, etc for a couple bucks.

no, they are lights attached to a ceiling not meant to be moved. The greenhouse lights are just lights that are suppose to give out the light the plants use.

get some florescent (cant spell sorry) or T series lights, and get hanging chains for them. Could make it a permanent spot if you deisre...

Yes, they will live through it. Acclimated neps are pretty tough, and if everything else is in order, the low light won't kill them in less than a month.

Capslock

Why not just raise the plants up? With say, a box or two under the pots?

Ditto on Capslock. Indoor neps can be very tough, and I think that having 4 tubes (if they are indeed flourescent) will be sufficient for a month or two.

okay thanks, but will my D. adelae be alright too? I hope to have enough money after the holidays to set up a grow rack. My mom said I can have a 7' cude room just for my plants!

They might not be happy about it, but they'll definitely survive.
The D. adelae may present a problem but will also probably live. If you're worried about it, give it one of those compact fluorescent screw-ins in a desk lamp or something.
As for greenhouse lights, you should just go for plain shoplights and ordinary cool/warm white bulbs. They work fine and are much cheaper than anything marketed specifically for growing plants.
~Joe

Thanks, my adelae has recovered from a lot of things very fast so as long as it lives I fine. It recovered from dormancy! (My window got very cold and it spent like 3 months in high 30's and low 40's temps. My dad bought them for me because he knew I would complain. I managed to get my sar seedlings like 6" from the lights, is that good? Also I just plugged in a mini firde I found in my basement and put my S. "judith hindel" in there. Will that be good for dormancy?

Sorry for mixxing plants, I just didn't want to make 3 different threads and I mostly have neps. Thanks for all the help to!

Back