What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ampullaria

I got my amp about a month ago, and since the day I got it it's been dying. The day after I got it the leaves dried and turned brown. Today I cut all the leaves off because they were completely brown and crispy. Can I take a root cutting from this plant? I don't think it's completely dead, because I cut a little bit off of the middle part where all the leaves branch out from, and some liquid was in it. Is there any way to save it?

What conditions are you growing it in? It maybe that you are not providing it with enough warmth and humidity. Ampullaria is unquestionably lowlander and will not tolerate less-than-ideal conditions for long.
It's hard to gauge how bad the condition of your ampullaria is without having seen pictures but it's unlikely that you'll be able to take root cuttings.

Liquid in brown tissue, or liquid in green tissue?

The liquid was in the brown tissue. Pretty much the plant looks like a brown stick in LFS. My conditions aren't good for lowlanders, too cold nights. When I got the plant it was bare root, and there was a small basal plant that broke off during shipping. That plant is in the same pot as the big amp, and it's actually still green and alive.

Sorry to hear that Moo :( I don't know what you should do, maybe put it near a heat source? And, there just may be a chance that the basal could be a stray nep seedling. Was it connected to the plant?

Ampullaria is unquestionably lowlander and will not tolerate less-than-ideal conditions for long.

Not unless if you're Capslock :rolleyes:

Here are some amps growing in highland conditions. It can be done, but you need good humidity, consistent conditions, and good light. My overnight lows are in the 50s.

Nampullariatricolor1.jpg

Nampulariagiantred2.jpg

Capslock

How cold was it when you received it? I received a Mikeii in the mail last winter that had frozen slightly, and it looked okay for about 2 days, then all the leaves shriveled up and it flat out died. I was convinced it would make a come back, but it never did. Seeing that you're living in Michigan, that might be the case.

It wasn't very cold when I got it, probably in mid October. Nice amps Capslock, they look awesome.

How warm during the day does it get Max? Some lowlanders are quite tolerant of 50s at night provided it is reasonably warm during the day, ie low to mid 80s. N. ampullaria is one of them and so is N. albomarginata you have sitting there also. I would guess with all your high powered lights you get a good bit of warmth out of them during the day?

Hey Tony,
Yeah, it gets up to about 78-82 every day. Using the window, a couple fans, and the door to the rest of the garage, I can keep these temperatures consistent all year long. My lowlanders are happy as can be - I have N. viking and some other albos thriving in there too. I even flowered the Viking in these conditions.

Capslock

Back