What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Idea for Nep cuttings and Plants

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I'm looking to both save space and provide depth for Nep cuttings I have in water vases and pots. Right now they are in my rack. What I'm thinking about is setting up a couple of outside fishtank filters, that hook over the tank. One would be filled with water for the cuttings and be right under the fluorescent light. On the other side would be another with media and holes poked through for drainage. I'd also have to have something underneath it to catch the water. Still thinking about that part.

Another idea is to take two 2- gallon sized Ziplocks, with one inside the other, having the inner one with drainage holes, binder clipped to the side of the fishtank, on both ends. The other side would have the Ziplock binder clipped as well, but with water, to accommodate the cuttings. Whaddya think?

of505904422.jpg

I'm not sure if/how constantly flowing water would help the cuttings. Also, it seems like that would be a bad place to put them since that's where all the stuff that is filtered out of the water is collecting. Why not just stick them in the tank in between the pots in the top?
~Joe

You can't see it but there's a black, plastic tray with drainage holes keeping the pots in place. There's no real opening stick the cuttings through unless I create one. The cuttings would be hanging on one side of the tank, with the same concept of this:

HPIM0856-1.jpg

But since the vase or vessel cant fit or stay there I thought a Ziplock bag that is clamped to the outside of the tank would serve the same purpose.... and not fall over.

So I set them up, in quart sized ziplocks, on either sides of the tank, held in place with binder clips. So far so good... and it freed up a good amount of space on the rack. It also draws heat from the tank, which is a bonus.

Cuttings from young plants tend to root more quickly, often in just a week. Stem cuttings should be about 10 cm (4 inches) long. Grow rooted cuttings to about 15 cm (6 inches) in a moist medium before you transplant them to the garden.

cant really take a cutting of a young plant john, unless its a vine you run the risk of killing the plant. and neps arent a garden plant unless you live in a tropical environment with the proper media that the neps can handle

Back