What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes x coccinea

DroseraBug

Grow Pitcher Plants!
Need some cutting advice. I was given a couple of N. x coccinea cuttings. I potted them up in lfs/perlite/vermiculite/peat about 5 weeks ago. My temperatures are highs 75F lows 55F. Humidity remains above 65% during day and 80% at night. I realize this is a lowland highbrid and my conditions are more highland conditions. One of the two cutting is the apical meristem cutting and it is continuing to put out new leaves. Each new leaf begins sending out a tendril but the tendril turns black and the new leaves are droopy. The other cutting is remaining green and seems to have an activated node because I can see the swelling but no new shoot. Are the night temps just too cold or should I just continue being patient? Should I try and find a warmer spot for the cuttings?

If it's a true lowland than I would say that yes, you're night temperatures are much too low.
The only lowland I've grown is bical and from what I have observed if you give it a toasty night, it will grow a lot during the darkness. IMO I think that warm nights are what promote growth the best in lowland species. Granted though, I have relatively limited experience. Still I think that for any lowland that is much too cold.

yes. patience could work, and warmer temps could work. :)

Mostly patience! Five weeks isn't that long yet - some cuttings take longer than that to get going. Just keep them in consistent conditions, leave them alone, and they should be fine. And consider fertilizing to give them a boost. Use 1/2 strength orchid fertilizer or 16-16-16 Seaweed fertilizer and water the soil media with it. I do this once every six weeks.

Capslock

Mostly patience! Five weeks isn't that long yet - some cuttings take longer than that to get going. Just keep them in consistent conditions, leave them alone, and they should be fine. And consider fertilizing to give them a boost. Use 1/2 strength orchid fertilizer or 16-16-16 Seaweed fertilizer and water the soil media with it. I do this once every six weeks.

Capslock

Thanks for the info. I fertilize all my Neps but usually via the pitchers. Have not even thought about fertilizing the cuttings. I'll try try it out. I would seal them up in plastic bags and put them in a window if I had a good window for it. I grow all my neps in a couple of chambers in a closed room in chambers where I can bring in cool winter air at night and a/c in the summer. I grow mostly highlanders so its tough for me to consistenly give the coccinea high temps. Maybe they'll take off in the cool night conditions. I've heard of lowland neps growing in highland conditions and vice versa.

Back