What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hamata questions

Cindy

Staff member
Hi everyone,

I have read that N. hamata is a slow grower but how slow is it?

Is a leaf formed every 3-4 weeks normal?

And does the plant produce the next leaf but takes it own time to produce the pitcher on the previous leaf?

TIA! :)

From the grace of someone very generous I have three baby hamatas (it was from one TC pot which I divided). I would say they are slow, but never paid that close attention to them. I will say that when I walk by them I notice something happening. Of course I don't look at them daily, but when I do stop by or water I can usually see something new happening.

But perhaps it is my growing method. Right on the shelf with everything else. No fridge, no fog machine, no cooling system. Just there under the lights next to a maxima.

they are a lil slow when small but once they get some size they grow at a fairly decent rate......

Wheres El Gecko when you need him?

He has a magic window which I don't have. LOL

lol cindy
i by no means have a magic windowsill or magic growrack, but hamata is a very quick and easy grower.
my TC one almost died, and bounced right back...which i later traded off because i wanted more plants....and i have the seedgrown one hahahaha. but on average my plant puts out a leaf and a half a month, and a pitcher ever 3 or so weeks. oddly, Ron West's seedgrown plants have all reached about 3" and mine is only about 2" but mine is pitchering, his arent yet.

SirKristoff,

I live in year round hot weather (75F-95F) which makes growing N. hamata a real challenge without air-conditioning. From the posts I now know that my plant is growing at a decent speed and it means that at least it is quite happy with the recent weather which is cooler and more humid. I don't have any special set-up for it and it is sitting at the balcony together with my other lowland plants.

ask crissytal about growing hamata as a lowlander, shes doing that right now! crazy stuff hahahha.

hamata isnt as touchy as its reputation says........its pretty hardy, mine sees 80*F(27*C) on a regular basis and seems unphased, wouldnt doubt it could handle higher...it is not an ultra highlander by any stretch of the imagination......bout the only thing i have seen to show it might be difficult is younger plants tend to be touchy about drops in humidity....if you dont mind spending the money for one for what might very well be an experiment i have a feeling you more than likely will have good success....if you were asking about villosa i would say your likely out of luck....but i think you have a good shot at success with hamata....

N. hamata is fairly slow growing. That really nice specimen you may have seen is at least 5 years old. Humidity is important to a small plant. Just partially covering it with a clear cup can do the job. Leave some opening, however, or it will be really difficult to harden it off. Older plants handle lower humidity better. Also, it's best to find a partly sunny location, such as your west window, and leave it. Moving plants around from location to location is always a bad thing since they never have a chance to adapt to the microclimate. With a more challenging species you need to give them time.

Back