What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is this?

• Thread starter upper
  • Start date

upper

Capensis Killer
i asked SK earlier, just incase he didnt get it, here's the picture
yupyupyupyup.jpg

2ndyupyup.jpg

Looks more like sunburn to me

looks like either sunburn or insect damage. Have the conditions changed recently?

I get that rust on the oldest leaves of my Neps too.

My pet theory is that it's a tad too much light and the lack of proper nutrients causing the older leaves to finally "give up the ghost" and die.

I never see it on new emerging leaves. I think that it's definitely an age thing...

too much light? i have left it on the windsill since i got it. the only thing that have changed is the temperature, it has gotten colder.

Looks like insect damage to me since it's on the underside and along the midvein primarily. Could be mites, could be thrips. Probably mites this time of year with the drier conditions most of us experience during the Winter. Is it sunken where the brown splotches are? Then it is something sucking the leaf. Rust usually causes blistering and expansion of the leaf tissue where it grows within the leaf

I fyou look smack dab in the middle of the second picture on the leaf looks like there is something there like a mite perhaps, or the fruiting body of something else. I vote for mites as well. Drier conditions merit mites populations to soar. I always had mites in the winter in the greenhouse.

what do i do with mites?

Do you have a strong magnifying glass to have a look at the undersides of the leaves? I think it's worth having a look to see if you can spot anything.

Er I dunno what folks use.. I use Avid and Talstar for most of my pest problems

i'll go buy one later. i dont have a strong magnifying glass.

Okay, i didnt need a strong magnifying glass to know this is an insect problem. picked a couple of red spot off the bottom of the leaf on my nail.... they were moving, ever so slowly. but definitely moving, tried to hide under my nail, squished it. what should i do now?

i believe neem oil should work well, too. spray neem or a safe insecticide on the leaves, or if you have a systemic insecticide, apply to the soil, the plant absorbs it, and then the mites will die.

Back