What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new Neps! (DUW)

I got these a couple weeks ago, and let them settle in a bit before I got pictures. I wanted to make sure they were all doing well, since I don't grow under what I gather is typically considered highland conditions. Temps at night are in the very high 60's - low 70's, and daytime temps can reach around 76 or 77 on most days.

N. rajah - this one had the two bottom leaves and all old pitchers die off within the first week, but has put out a new leaf, and is forming two new pitchers.

P1010374.jpg

P1010375.jpg

N. talangensis - the largest pitcher died off, but it's also put out two new ones.

P1010377.jpg

P1010376.jpg

N. lowii - lost the largest pitcher, and the growth paused until recently, but otherwise doesn't seem too unhappy

P1010380.jpg

N. ephippiata - this one never missed a beat...it's continued to grow the pitchers that were already there, and seems to really enjoy the conditions

P1010382.jpg

N. bellii - I know, this one probably shouldn't be in the same conditions as the others. It arrived with no pitchers, but is growing some new leaves, so I'm hoping for some new pitchers on those, as well.

P1010381.jpg

that talang doesnt look like a talang....

Nice plants though.

They look like they are adjusting nicely. The N. talangensis looks like a N. mirabilis

Hmm. Well, I got it at a good price, so I suppose it doesn't matter too much. If anything, I'll grow it up a bit, and trade it off :p

What does DUW mean?

dial-up warning, since the pictures are on the large side, and there are several of them...if someone were to have a dial up connection, it may take some time to load.

its possible that its a talangensis, remember that the place you got them from isnt very good at keeping their plants that they are selling. its young and looks a bit etoliated

Nice to see that you are filling that tank.

Nice to see that you are filling that tank.

Yes! Slowly but surely. I have two more orders coming in, too...one of Nepenthes, and one of some more orchids. There will be some nice additions still to come!

Hmm that ? plant could also be a young N. rafflesiana as well although with what appears to be fairly thin papery leaves and fimbriate leaf margins I will still lean towards N. mirabilis. Time will tell! Deffinately not N. talangensis though which even as small plants have very thick, narrow leaves and the tubby N. talangensis looking pitchers.

Ok...got some updated pictures. Something of a 1-month anniversary on these guys. I really wanted to get some pics of my not-so-talang, to see if I can find out what it really is, but the pictures came out terrible because of glitches in lighting. Oh well, I'll include those last. Hopefully everything else is what it's supposed to be, too! :-D I'm very happy with their growth.

Here's the N. rajah...the pitcher from last time has colored up nicely, and it's putting out a monster pitcher now.

P1010395.jpg

N. lowii...the pitcher it was forming last time colored up, and it's busy putting out two new traps.

P1010391.jpg

P1010389-1.jpg

N. ephippiata...put out two new traps, and is looking very nice

P1010394.jpg

And the not-talangensis...it's put out 3 new pitchers, and grows like mad

P1010393.jpg

P1010392.jpg

I would remove that grass/hedge from your rajah pot. Their roots can spread rapidly and invasively throughout the pot if you let them get too big.

I actually just pulled it out after that picture. For whatever reason, I hadn't even noticed it before I went to take the pictures. I think I've gotten so used to ferns and such popping up with the orchids in that tank, that I've stopped paying attention to other plants that start growing in there.

Back