What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bical in a cage.

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
I have a Bicalcarata that Ive had in the same terrarium now for a very long time (over two years). Its conditions are now what I would call... optimal, and they have been for some time. It just shot out a leaf that scares me quite frankly. It's not even close to done unfolding or pitchering. It's a small terrarium, but the only one I have. This plant is such a bittersweet love affair of mine.

I plan to move back to Alaska in March, so I cannot redo its setup yet, but I have a feeling this leaf will bump into the glass, and the next will... well, who knows really.

This could be a redundant question but, what should I do? A larger terrarium will be ultimately harder to heat, and it will grow out of that, and they are expensive. I like this plant a lot but I almost appreciate keeping it on a slow growth pattern and with unideal conditions.

What would you guys do with your Bicalcarata problem child?

Hmmm... you should probably make a makeshift growrack. Get some clear plastic sheeting and a couple florescent fixtures(to provide heat and light) and find a good space. It should be enough heat...

You can put trays of water around the plant to keep up the humidity.

I moved mine from a terrarium to a growrack just like this.

Good luck.

Hi

Yeah my bical is very moody even if i live in a tropical country......It recently inflate its pitcher bud a little and then suddenly stoped....Argh! its so fustrating......

Ken

I have 0 experience with lowlanders, but knowing a little bit about them generally, I would say stick it somewhere under lights, perhaps by a warm window in the sun, and go to wal-mart and pick up a $20 warm mist humidifier, set it near the plant, and crank it up. Those little guys really can throw out a lot of vapor. No grow rack needed, and the plant is un-hindered by walls.

You could always look to swords' recent how-to article on terrarium building. Otherwise, a warm humidifier sounds like a good idea - just put it underneath the plant and stick it some place that isn't drafty. I've heard of people in California keeping them successfully as houseplants. Portland is a little on the cool side, but you never know. They're becoming somewhat common plants, so at least you can get a new one easily should something go wrong.
Which also brings to mind - you might consider cutting the tip and rooting it. As a cutting it will grow slightly smaller for a while. The rootstock will probably throw up new growth points but they, too will grow more compactly in the short term. It's just a stopgap measure but it also gives you spare plants to experiment with.
~Joe

All very great ideas! Thank you guys. I'm hesitant on making something substantial seeing as I have to move in not a very long amount of time. I've worked hard to get this terrarium in optimal condition. It's growing so fast! But its massive leaf just bumped into the lid, and its tendril will hit the glass... :(

Hopefully the pitcher will be large at least.

I'm almost wondering if it is possible to do some kind of bonzai nepenthes? Definitely something unique to experiment with. Imagine miniature little Nepenthes with completely mature upper pitchers... That would be cool.

Back