What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Choice N. Lady pauline, Aristo x Spec, Singalana

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey everyone, There is a big order coming soon from Borneo Exotics, to a Canadian Retailer. After a rather large list, I've Norrowed it to 3 neps, N. Lady Pauline, N Aristolochioides x Spectabilis, and N. Singalana. They are all highlanders, that will grow with my ventricosa and Heli's, humidity is never below 75%

So what do you recommend for me? Please let me know of your opinions.

Can't you just get all three? :x Lady Pauline can easily grow on a windowsill.

Lady Pauline will thrive in basic highland or even intermediate conditions, should grow well for you. You'd probably be okay with aristoxspect, since BE probably used their beastly and easy to grow "North Sumatra" spectabilis. Everyone seems to have a different view on Singalana, but it should be treated as a true highlander, gotta have those nighttime temp drops and high humidity (75% should be fine)

Bepfreak, you make a good point, I am more inclined to Aristo x Spect and Lady Pauline, but if I had to choose between the two, i'd choose lady pauline since its easy to grow. I f I can get both I will, but they are 40 Canadian each plus all the extra charges.

Thanks again!

That's a tough one. I have all three, and I really like all three. My singlana is showing impressive colors and a nicely flared peristome while still fairly small. My spec x aristo is very vigorous and has great dark colors, but also still kinda small so not sure what the mature pitchers will look like. My Lady Pauline is tough as nails, and I love the pitchers. Great color, huge flared peristome, tubby pitcher...hmm I guess out of all three I like the Pauline the best at this time, but she is also a big plant so I have mature pitchers.

Aristo X spect and Lady pauline it is :)

Aristo X spect and Lady pauline it is :)

But if you can't afford the both of them, I'd go with the Aristo X spect if I were you.

It's just such an incredible plant with really great coloration.

I'd go with lady pauline. Very adaptable, great coloration, easy to care for, incredible plant.

Daniel... Aristo x spect is going be a spectacular hybrid. Personally its waaay nicer than lady pauline IMO. But yeah....the aristo parentage in it might cause some issues if you don't have highland temps.

I dunno what Aristolochioides x spectabilis will look like, but Lady Pauline is one impressive plant. Singalana is nice, has some neat pitchers that look slightly angular and a toothed peristome that recalls that of hamata but not nearly as well developed. My own plant just put out a new pitcher:

02-05-2009-singalana01.jpg

My concern now is the picky aristo parent. Obviously Aristo x Spec, will inherit some of both of its parents growing needs and habits, how will this affect the plant, is Aristolochioides picky?

For me....aristo has been picky. It is growing...but not thriving. However, I did abruptly change its conditions which was totally responsible for its setback...but yes! it can be a finicky plant.

You have you remember that hybrids can be more forgiving. :x I have spect x aristo and I don't think it's picky at all. Then again, this is aristo x spect so it will probably inherit more of the aristo. I'd still go for it though, if you have highland conditions. You'll never know unless you try.

Back