What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it ok to cut Nepenthes leaves?

Hi. My bongso is taking up room with its 10 inch span, and it's causing a room problem and its shades other plants. Whichever way I turn it, it keeps covering another plant. So, what I'm asking is that is it ok to cut the older, bigger leaves in half to make room? I know they can still provide photosynthesis for the plant and it wouldn't look that good, but it's to keep other plants from being shaded. The good thing is, though, is that its newer leaves are maybe only about 3 or 3 and a half inches. Thoughts?

I'd say it is OK to to cut the leaves in half, the remaining part would still photosynthesize. However, this won't be a permanent solution as it will continue to grown and soon enough it won't fit, its time you upgrade, and you have a rather nice rack, just cover it with planstic like me and make a grow rack.

I'm not technical enough to make things like grow racks. Plus, it'd be harder to keep it cooler and such like I already have it. Yes, my bongso is going to outgrow the terrarium soon, but is it possible to make it a windowsill plant?

Yeah, I'd say that bongso would make a good windowsill plant in Florida.

Windowsill is the way to go!

(I'm very proud that my 500th post is advocating windowsill growth.)

Windowsill growing is probably a better option than cutting still-green leaves. Both will probably shock it a little bit and cause it to grow slower or smaller for a little while, but moving it to a windowsill is a much more permanent solution. You don't use a dehumidifier in your home, do you? I know that's a popular way to keep cool in muggier climates. I can't see any problems to growing it as a houseplant in your area otherwise.
~Joe

I don't know we use a dehumidifier, but we probably do.

Back