What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedlings

I recieved some N. splendiana x (rokko x stenophylla) seed from Tropics last September. It is my first time growing neps from seed. Below is a pic of a few of the plants now. I'd like to say a big thank you to Tropics for giving away the seed. Also I'd like to know how other people who received these seeds plants are doing.

They're looking very cute. :) I'm also interested on how others turned out, even though I didn't get those seeds.

Hi

Hmm i don't know if "tropics" is the same guy named JK in other forums..Cause last time he gave out some seeds too and i took N (thorelii x stenophylla) x mixta and it germinated around end of november last year and now biggest seedling is only around 2cm..Slow eh?

Ken

It's the same guy. He's actually quite generous.

Nice looking plants!

I got some of the exact same batch. Yours look a little bigger then mine, mine germinated in October. I think some are about ready to be split though, which might make them speed up a bit.

Thanks for the update DavyJones. Mine germinated in October too. I've been fertilizing mine fairly frequently which might account for the slight difference in size.

I'm responding really fast, but...

What fertilizers are you using?
I haven't used any.
When did you split yours up? Mine are incredibly clumpy right now.

Honestly, I was just checking my email and your response showed up. I don't sit on here all day long.

I've been using 1/3 tsp Gubler's pro-blend orchid food 19-8-16 per gallon about every two weeks. Those particular plants I split a few months ago because they were crowding out smaller plants in the main pot. The plants in the main pot are more crowded but not so crowded that it's impeding their growth.

Mine are just a bit behind yours. I started feeding them 1/2 strength orchid fert. and they have responded fantastically !

Mine are still very small. They germinated late for some reason and even now each time I look at them there are more seeds splitting open.

I took the time to take some pics. These are two separate pots, with a quarter for size reference.

Germination was mid-October, so about 5 months old. If you notice in the first picture, there is one seedling that only has its first two leaves, i.e. it recently germinated. Really surprising.

Nice. How do you post pictures as thumbnails? Do you need a photo hosting site? I'd like to share some photos but I don't have a photo hosting site.

Nice. How do you post pictures as thumbnails? Do you need a photo hosting site? I'd like to share some photos but I don't have a photo hosting site.

To do thumbnails, use attachments when making post, which is the paper clip that next to the smiley face that's next to the font color (A). A good hosting site is also Photobucket.

Thanks to everyone for the updates.

@DavyJones
I think splitting yours up might give them a boost. I would just re space them in the pot they're already in since there's plenty of room. You probably don't want to let them go too much longer or their roots may tangle and you might lose some in the process of repotting.

Here is a pic of the main pot. I'm going to have to repot them all soon before they crowd much more but I'm trying to wait until spring so I can put the sarracenia seedling that are crowding my tank outside.

Back