What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inducing Nepenthes budding

I bought this Nep rafflesiana last christmas through another grower and received a complete mess. I had a gift certificate and used it to expand a bit but needless to say the packaging job was horrible. A Sarr was not in dormancy and falling out of the pot and this nep took a beating. Medium was frozen solid when i received it so i quickly repotted with what I had in hand to try and save it. Most of my Neps are in sphagnum/coconut bark medium but 2 are doing really well in perlite/sphagnum which I will replace later on in the year with the coconut / shagnum.

So i repotted this Nep about 2 months ago and trimmed all the dead parts and the left over leaves have stayed the color they are now and I have been waiting for a new bud to form since the meristem and 3-4 nodes were killed due to the cold. The roots are fine and there is some fleshy xylem/phloem that you can see in the pic.

So my question is, is there anyway I can induce budding? Right now the plant is in 28-30 degrees celcius conditions with no less then 50% RH and an 18hr photoperiod.

Thanks for the help!

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h193/frenchy87128/Nepenthes/?action=view&current=IMG_1508.jpg

I'd just leave it in good conditions and wait. Don't fiddle with it too much - just let it get used to the conditions. I urge patience more than anything in this situation. The plant looks like it's alive and going to make it.

Also, I find perlite/sphag just as good as coco/sphag if not better, so don't bother replanting the ones in perlite/sphag until they really need it.

Casplock

ok thanks for all Capslock, I've read they can take up to 4 months before anything really happens, i'll just keep my fingers crossed and give it some TLC lol

varries with species, i have had ampullaria not produce a single leaf for 6 months after i got it than all the sudden started growing like gangbusters.............others dont seem to stop growing at all even when conditions make a drastic change.......just let it sit...

personally i wouldnt use coco/sphagnum.....coco-peat works fine so long as its not given a chance to compact, as soon as it compacts it deteriorates rapidly if kept constantly wet/damp......im afraid mixing it with just sphagnum will give it a good chance of compacting and starting to rot.....personally i like the coco-peat but i make sure its mixed with perlite or orchid bark to make sure air gets into the mix.........with air entering the mix coco-peat lasts as long as any other soil material, allowed to compact and stay wet and it will turn to sludge in a matter of weeks sometimes.......

rattler, I figured he's using coco chips, which don't have the compacting problem and are a fine nep mix additive. But yeah - don't use coco peat in a nep mix - although I do use 100% cocopeat to germinate nepenthes seed.

i shoulda realized that........and ive used straight coco-peat to get seedlings going aswell.....works fine for that purpose.....

Back