What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are your lights covered?

Those of you who grow neps under lights in grow chambers or mini greenhouses I have a question for you. Are your lights covered by anything to keep the moisture off them? Reason I ask is because I have some pretty strong lights but it seems the plants are not growing at the same rate I see others. My lights are the florex kind from home depot so I have the plastic dome inbetween the light and plants. I was thinking to take it off, but wonder if it would harm the lights at all.

Hey!
Yeah, I take those covers off. I used to use the fluorex lights and took that cover off immediately. I don't think it hurt them at all provided you aren't hitting them with water.

Capslock

The only water that might get to them is the mist from the humidifier. Could the plastic in anyway slow them down by blocking and of the light power getting to them?

the plastic is cutting out light, mist from a humidify wont hurt them......

My vote is to take them off. I haven't had a problem yet!

i dont cover my shoplights :p only from the top on the rack above to keep water from dripping down into the circuits and stuff

Yeah I took them off so maybe I'll have a boost of growth and pitchers and everything! I plan on building a 4 foot grow chamber and adding lights too. Does glass cut out any light like the plastic did? Thanks for the advice.

Plain ol plate glass will let just about all the light through as long as it is kept clean. Don't use any glass for windows that are designed to cut IR or UV etc

You can get those fluorex fixtures in 100w now too which is nice.

Back