What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About to recieve Nepenthes seeds. What do I do?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I placed an order and my order comes with free Nepenthes Mirabilis seeds. What do I do when they arrive? Do I sow them immediately? What soil do I put them in?

Any advice?

Have you tried the search function?

I would sow them in a mixture of peat/sand/and milled live LFS. cover the container with plastic wrap and poke a couple holes in it to keep some air flow so molds dont go insane. the plastic wrap is to just keep humidity up

Ahmad,
I agree with SK. Also, at the top of the Nepenthes page, there is a sticky with a guide for Nepenthes seed sowing.

I placed an order and my order comes with free Nepenthes Mirabilis seeds. What do I do when they arrive? Do I sow them immediately? What soil do I put them in?

Any advice?

I would sow them immediately in whatever your preferred compost is for Nepenthes and keep them at room Tb or cooler until they germinate. I prefer live sphagnum with perlite, pumice, orchid bark, etc. -- something fast draining and moist. Nepenthes seeds are notorious for having a short shelf life. My last batch took three weeks to germinate, but they can take considerably longer; so be patient and don't throw anything out until the Messianic Age of Obama comes to an end (heh, heh . . .)

My last batch took three weeks to germinate, but they can take considerably longer; so be patient and don't throw anything out until the Messianic Age of Obama comes to an end (heh, heh . . .)

Very true, ive heard some species can take upwards of a year to germinate, such as rajah...Ive had some hybrid seeds germinate in a week o_o (N. xSplendiana x [(veitchii x maxima) x veitchii]

um, I advise you read the sticky on growing seeds...

Ahmad,
I agree with SK. Also, at the top of the Nepenthes page, there is a sticky with a guide for Nepenthes seed sowing.

um, I advise you read the sticky on growing seeds...

Yep. There is a sticky with several methods on seed growing tips. Take a look and see what you think might work for you. There is some lively discussion on some of them, which should also be considered. Then, of course, keep us posted on what method you use and how it well it works!

Nepenthes Seed Growing Guides

xvart.

Back