What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new N. ampullaria 'Harlequin'

here's some pics of it in my Vivarium:

DSC09682.jpg

DSC09687.jpg

It's got three cute little pitchers already :)

how about a wider shot of the whole vivarium :) ?

Cute. Update us when you can.

Is it normal to experience a die-back from new plants? because two of the it's pitchers arent opening and are turning brown :( and I dont think it's a humidity issue either since it's pretty humid at the bottom of my Viv all the time.

Yes, its just going through transport and transplant shock it is normal for plants to lose pitchers ater you put them in their new home. It will adjust to your conditions, and start pitchering again.

Are the first amp. pitchers really that different than the familiar looking ones?
At first glance they don't look like amps but could be cause they're young...
or I just don't know what I'm talking about! :)

yeah I was wondering the same thing. They look very elongated but on closer look I notice the hairy leaf unfurling, the lid is small and tilted back as to allow canopy vegitation to fall in. 35% of the amps diet is other plants. The color is very nice. I actually got mine in a trade from Bucky. mine is an all green. I wish I had a red. :)

Are the first amp. pitchers really that different than the familiar looking ones?
At first glance they don't look like amps but could be cause they're young...
or I just don't know what I'm talking about! :)

i hope it is since I paid good money for his. hehehe they do look a bit elongated. I hope they get fatter!:-O

should I cut the wilting pitchers off or just leave them?

Leave em. When I got me Amp I put moist spahgnum around them and they stayed humid enough during transistion. I still lost the top halves but the bottom halves stayed alive enough to feed. If they die completly cut em off at the top of the tendril,base of the leaf. I have found that misting Neps a lot during transition can help a lot with keeping pitchers. keep us posted and take more pics!

Back