What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This info came across the VCPS listserver & even though it comes across as blatant spam, anyone who has seen some of his other books & enjoys Nepenthes will cough up the bucks ... The email also had 21 beautiful color pics of Neps - however, I don't know how to share those pics w/o hosting each individually (& I don't think that's too kosher...). Here's a link to the books on his website (with lots of pics...)

As always - if the info posted below is not appropriate - mods - please feel free to delete.

R
----------------------------------------------------------------
> Dear valued customers,
>
> After four years of intense field work, research, writing and editing, we are proud to announce the launch of our latest title - Pitcher Plants of the Old World.
>
> This two volume series provides the first detailed examination of the wild ecology and natural diversity of all 119 recognized species of Nepenthes as well as Cephalotus – for the first time and in unparalleled detail.
>
> Pitcher Plants of the Old World Volume One consists of the following chapters; Introduction, Carnivorous Plants of the World, The Pitcher Plants of the Old World, The Evolution of the Pitcher Plants of the Old World, Trapping Processes, Infauna, Nepenthes of Borneo and Nepenthes of Peninsular Malaysia and Indochina.
>
> Pitcher Plants of the Old World Volume Two comprises Nepenthes of the Philippines, Nepenthes of Sumatra and Java, Nepenthes of Sulawesi, Nepenthes of New Guinea and the Maluku Islands, Nepenthes of the Outlying Areas, Nepenthes Hybrids, Cephalotus follicularis, Ongoing Exploration and Discovery, Habitat Loss and the Threat of Extinction and Cultivation and Horticulture.
>
> This 1,100 page work contains 800 images depicting the full beauty of Nepenthes and Cephalotus in the wild. Dozens of the Nepenthes species documented in Pitcher Plants of the Old World represent spectacular, newly found and recently rediscovered pitcher plant species. A few have not previously been studied or even observed since they were discovered (in some cases more than a century ago). One new species is scientifically described in Volume Two for the very first time.
>
> Pitcher Plants of the Old World is a focused study that provides a unique examination of this fascinating and very beautiful group of plants.
>
> Both volumes will go to press in approximately four weeks and will be released very soon thereafter. We anticipate a public launch during late April and will send further updates to you over the coming weeks.
>
> If you would like to receive the very first copies of this exciting new work, as soon as it is printed – we invite you to place an advance order atwww.redfernnaturalhistory.com . We are in the process of updating our site with information relating to the launch of this book, and also it’s content.
>
> Attached is a sample of the imagery of this work.
>
> My very best regards to you
>
> Stewart McPherson
>
> www.redfernnaturalhistory.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.... and from a follow-up email on the listserver:

Several people have written wishing to know the listings of Nepenthes species in each volume of Pitcher Plants of the Old World - please find this information below .

Pitcher Plants of the Old World Volume One

Nepenthes of Borneo
N. albomarginata
N. ampullaria
N. bicalcarata
N. boschiana
N. burbidgeae
N. campanulata
N. chaniana
N. clipeata
N. edwardsiana
N. ephippiata
N. faizaliana
N. fusca
N. glandulifera
N. gracilis
N. hirsuta
N. hispida
N. hurrelliana
N. lowii
N. macrophylla
N. macrovulgaris
N. mapuluensis
N. mirabilis
N. mollis
N. muluensis
N. murudensis
N. northiana
N. pilosa
N. platychila
N. rafflesiana
N. rajah
N. reinwardtiana
N. stenophylla
N. tentaculata
N. veitchii
N. villosa
N. vogelii

Nepenthes of Peninsular Malaysia and Indochina
N. alba
N. albomarginata
N. ampullaria
N. benstonei
N. bokorensis
N. gracilis
N. gracillima
N. kampotiana
N. kongkandana
N. macfarlanei
N. mirabilis
N. rafflesiana
N. ramispina
N. sanguinea
N. smilesii
N. thorelii
N. sp. Trang
N. sp. Phanga Nga

Pitcher Plants of the Old World Volume Two

Nepenthes of the Philippines
N. alata
N. argentii
N. attenboroughii
N. bellii
N. burkei
N. copelandii
N. deaniana
N. mantalingajanensis
N. merrilliana
N. micramphora
N. mindanaoensis
N. mira
N. mirabilis
N. peltata
N. petiolata
N. philippinensis
N. saranganiensis
N. sibuyanensis
N. surigaoensis
N. truncata
N. ventricosa

Nepenthes of Sumatra and Java
N. adnata
N. albomarginata
N. ampullaria
N. angasanensis
N. aristolochioides
N. beccariana
N. bongso
N. densiflora
N. diatas
N. dubia
N. eustachya
N. flava
N. gracilis
N. gymnamphora
N. inermis
N. izumiae
N. jacquelineae
N. jamban
N. lavicola
N. lingulata
N. longifolia
N. mikei
N. mirabilis
N. naga
N. ovata
N. rafflesiana
N. reinwardtiana
N. rhombicaulis
N. rigidifolia
N. singalana
N. spathulata
N. spectabilis
N. sumatrana
N. talangensis
N. tenuis
N. tobaica
N. sp. Junghuhnii

Nepenthes of Sulawesi
N. eymae
N. glabrata
N. gracilis
N. hamata
N. maxima
N. mirabilis
N. pitopangii
N. tentaculata
N. tomoriana
N. sp. Sulawesi

Nepenthes of New Guinea and the Maluku Islands
N. ampullaria
N. danseri
N. insignis
N. klossii
N. lamii
N. maxima
N. mirabilis
N. neoguineensis
N. paniculata
N. papuana
N. treubiana
N. sp. Misool
N. sp. Papua

Nepenthes of the Outlying Areas
N. distillatoria
N. khasiana
N. madagascariensis
N. masoalensis
N. mirabilis
N. pervillei
N. rowanae
N. tenax
N. vieillardii

Cephalotus
C. follicularis

WOW! Thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna order all their books. I've only ever seen/bought the Pitcher Plants of the Americas I didn't know the rest of these existed!

swords....Pyro has told me that Lost Worlds doesnt have much CP stuff in it.....more a natural history/geological history on the region as a whole....if your buying it thinking there is alot of CP stuff you will be disappointed.....if your interests lie with the geology and such than its a good book......just a FYI before you put down your cash for it.....im going to get it cause that stuff interests me but others may not care for it.........

I believe this is a different book, Pitcher plants of the Old World, cool I really want one!

this 2 book set will make 5 books total out by McPherson....first was Pitcher Plants of the Americas, second was Lost Worlds, third was on on sundews and Bylbis, Glistening Carnivores i believe, and now the two on old world pitcher plants......of them Lost Worlds really isnt about CP's, its a book on the natural and geological history of the Tepuis where the Heli's are found, atleast thats what i have been told by Pyro who has the book.....i only have the Americas one which i think is a very good book and worth the price for the pictures alone....

so if you buy Lost Worlds thinking its going to be full of info on all the CP's of the Tepui's you will be severely disappointed....if however you are like me and are a geology and general natural history buff than it will be a good book.....

I have the Pitcher Plants of the Americas and Glistening Carnivores. Excellent books. I'd have to say my favorites.

I've been anxiously waiting for the Pitcher Plants of the Old World #1 & #2. I will be adding them to my collection when they become available.

Thanks Rattler! Well, that info could be interesting, knowing just what sort of strata the Heli's grow on but I don't know if I'd be interested in several hundred pages describing the evolution of it. Too bad there's no shops with these books in them so you can look through them and decide if you want them. Pitcher Plants of the Americas is an awesome book, the Nep books should be wonderful. I can't imagine what they could find to say about them to rival a bible in page count! lol! Even Clarke's books are only around 250 pages IIRC...

swords....Pyro has told me that Lost Worlds doesnt have much CP stuff in it.....more a natural history/geological history on the region as a whole....if your buying it thinking there is alot of CP stuff you will be disappointed.....if your interests lie with the geology and such than its a good book......just a FYI before you put down your cash for it.....im going to get it cause that stuff interests me but others may not care for it.........

I managed to get a copy of Lost Worlds of the Guiana Highlands last year and consider it, by far, the best of McPherson's books so far. To me, most field guides are simply chaff; but I managed to spend a good amount of time in Venezuela and other stickier parts of the world back in the 1990s and a well-researched twenty-first century account of the ecology, geography, and history of Arthur Conan Doyle"s "true" Lost World had been sorely lacking until McPherson. Also, the chapter "Life Above the Clouds" is a more than exhaustive account of the flora and fauna of the Tepuis and does not disappoint . . .

Back