What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes stems

so i have this nepenthes that gotten really huge in the past year and the bottom stem seems like its way too skinny and dead looking to support the whole plant. its doing great but my girlfriend really wants to know if its dying or time to repot.... the guy we got it from said it would be fine for at least three years in the pot its in. BTW this is my ventricosa plant i just posted about that has the huge flower stem on it and has three baby plants growing around it now. the pot is a decorative vase about 5 inches wide and 8-9 inches deep with LFS and orchid bark n stuff.. ??? :scratch:

millipede - the plant is fine, Nepenthes are vines. You can get a support stick of some kind if you really feel it necessary, and it probably will be. no need to repot the plant :)

The browing of the stem is attributed to all the leaves that have died along the stem. Like SirKristoff said it will be fine!

You can make a cutting (or several) from the top and leave the old pot alone, maybe water a bit less otherwise treat as if the vine were still there. Even if the stem has gone woody often after chopping the good green part the roots will send up a growth tip or two (yours already has) and sometimes the dead dry stem shocks ya by sending out a nice healthy node too after removing the green top.

If you plan to do something with the flower (pollinating) then don't do anything yet but sometime this summer I'd re-root the green top (reduce it to a number of short stem sections if it's a very long vine) and let the new plants around the base get more water, light and nutrients and soon you'll have more N. ventricosa than you know what to do with. It's just scary your first time, but if you have high humidity, bright light and LFS to root your cuttings in you should be just fine.

Back