What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. villosa Flowering

Have posted this elsewhere, but wanted to post here, too.

Pardon my long silence. Have been really busy for a very long time. But, I have interesting news!

After 14 years, my N. villosa is producing an inflorescence! Although the raceme has yet to fully develop, my initial guess is that this is a male plant. Therefore, I would like to hear from other growers around the world who may have interesting females available with which to make new hybrids. I would like half of any seeds produced with villosa pollen.

Below are a couple of images, taken today. It is evident that it will be some time yet before the flowers are mature. But, I am hoping that within a month or so pollen will be available. The inflorescence has grown relatively quickly, having doubled in size in about two weeks.

Of particular note is the hirsute nature of the inflorescence. It is covered in a dense, auburn indumentum, the like of which I have never seen on any other species.

NvillosaInflorescence.jpg

NvillosaInflorescenceCloseup.jpg

Beautiful, you lucky guy, you are proably one of the few people to see such a rare flower spike, and the person who recieves seeds is extremely lucky.

Amazing! Hopefully a very nice female plant is flowering.
Do you know if you are the first person to have this plant flower?

Congratulations! Wow, fourteen years -- ninety-eight dog years. How many presidents is that? Who was in office when you first it potted up?

Wow! There's something you don't see too often. I wish you the best of luck in finding some nice females for that precious pollen. It must have taken a lot of work and patience to get it that far.

Oh my dear god!!! Fantastic!!! That is a sight to behold. Just amazing. WOW!!!! Neps...please contact geoff, Rob or even post this on CPUK and other boards.... I really hope you can create some of those amazing natural hybrids like N. x kinabaluensis or maybe new ones with macrophylla, lowii or burbidgeae. Wow!! 14 yrs eh? I wish I behold a plant of my own to that stage.

Congradulations, that is quite the dedication you have. 14 years, that plant is as old as me.

Simply stunning, I cant imagine the amount of patience and work put into this plant! This must be quite a rewarding sight for you :) I can only imagine the excitement when you first laid your eyes on that beauty! Whatever you're doing for it, keep it up!
Congratulations!

Thanks for your kind words, everyone! I'm glad that you're as thrilled as I am. Yes, there was a bit of work involved, but the plant did it, not me. :)

I don't know if I'm the first person to have this species flower in cultivation. However, up to this point in time, I've not heard of another specimen having flowered in cultivation.

And yes, it may be 98 dog years old. Bill Clinton was president when this plant was first potted up!

This will be one for the ages.

Amazing dedication and result to date, great picture too. Best of luck and continued success!

Do you have any pics of the whole plant? Congrats are definitely in order, that truly is spectacular.

I'd love to see the whole plant, too. Just got myself a villosa a couple days ago, and I'd love to see what I have to look forward to when I'm 40. :grin:

holy bejeesus! very impressive!

14 yrs thats some dedication.

congrats on your success, i hope to get mine to flower out as well, i wish you the best of luck in finding a nice female

Congratulations Jeff. If anyone was capable of a feat like this, you are. We're all impressed by your dedication and perfection of skills keeping this plant happy.

I wouldn't be surprised if your plant turned out to be a female. It has many similarities which I've seen a number of times on all of my female highland N. veitchii and basing the shape of the buds is not always a clear indicator. I've had several plants in the collection turn out female which produced nearly round flower buds with just the slightest eliptical tip. Still..only time will tell. Either way it's a magnificent accomplishment from a real master grower.

Phil

I echo Phil. Jeff you indeed deserve congratulations for your excellence and dedication. I can think of very few people who put as much time and effort into their plants as you. BIG CONGRATS

So true Travis, so true. Not only has this man done his homework..but he is capable of perfection at the opposite end of the spectrum. Remember that big beautiful female N. northiana he flowered? Talk about mad skills!

Remember that big beautiful female N. northiana he flowered? Talk about mad skills!

Yes I do remember it. I have that CPN article archived with the other "must keep" issues. Was just browsing through them the other day after a conversation brought it up actually. :boogie: Great stuff.

Holy cow! That's something I've never seen before. That's just incredible. And think of the hybrids! *Gasp* Congratulations!

Back