What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vetricosa air layering attempt

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Hey guys, since I thought that I have such a bad history at taking and rooting cuttings that this would be more effective. Those of you not familiar with the method, all I did was cut into the the stem right under a leaf going slightly into the whitish wood like substance. (not sure what it is called) and stuck some moss stems in to keep it open. I cut off all the leaves in a small area that will be cover. Then I took a small handful of damp moss and place it around the stem (most of it below the cut) then placed plastic wrap over it to keep the moisture in. The plant should hopefully produce roots believing that part of the stem is now underground. Then I can cut of the already rooted stem as a new plant. I will probably update this in a month or so. i also didn't use any hormones.

Here is my finished product, all done in a minute. :blush: Its no gonna be the greatest cutting but, at least I will know if it works for the future.
004.jpg

Very clever!
Maybe you should cut a few holes in the plastic wrap so the media can breathe, just to reduce the chance of rot. Or is that not part of the method?
Other than that, I see no reason why this should fail.
Good luck!

I know someone whose done this with success I believe... :)

sounds like a great idea, I think its an underused technique but I havnt gotten to try it myself yet so I guess I can't say much

keep us posted!

-Chris

no, the holes probably would open it up for rot, the moss I am using was completely dry for months, i don't think any thing is growing in it.

I know someone whose done this with success I believe... :)

sounds like a great idea, I think its an underused technique but I havnt gotten to try it myself yet so I guess I can't say much

keep us posted!

-Chris

Sure thing! Yes, you are talking about chrissytal and her amp I believe. I stole the idea. :jester:

i was just given a ventrata that was rotted using this method... good luck!

I did air layering this winter and the most difficult part was keeping the bag moist. It dries out so quickly!

Thanks for the replies. I think I will check for roots on the 25 of April unless I see them sooner.

If you have problems with it drying out and you can get your hands on a syringe (even one of the meat syringes) you can just plop it in and cover the hole with tape or another piece of cling wrap.

Good luck!

Hey guys, I just found a ventrata cutting (well a tiny stem with a dead growth point) with nodes activating, I was wondering if there is any method you suggest to save it? I have FOUR activating nodes out of FIVE leaves. Its a fighter!

so did it work or not!? :)

Oh, I forgot about this thread... Well I think I messed up by making to shallow of a cut, so the stem quickly became wood and the cut is just a hard piece of wood on both sides.

Back