What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Advice

Well based on my failure every single time to germinate Nep seeds I'd like to get some help from the pros that have done this for a while...
What kind of conditions do you use to germinate lowland Nep seeds?

My current conditions are RH at 75-80%, 75-83 Farenheit with slight air circulation, 16 or 18hr photoperiod (i forget exactly), and twice daily mistings but sometimes only once.

What medium, temps, RH, photoperiod would you recommend?

Thanks for the help :)

how fresh is the seed your getting?

Well based on my failure every single time to germinate Nep seeds I'd like to get some help from the pros that have done this for a while...
What kind of conditions do you use to germinate lowland Nep seeds?

My current conditions are RH at 75-80%, 75-83 Farenheit with slight air circulation, 16 or 18hr photoperiod (i forget exactly), and twice daily mistings but sometimes only once.

What medium, temps, RH, photoperiod would you recommend?

Thanks for the help :)

You are on the right track in terms of humidity, light, and Tb, but Nepenthes are mercurial at best and seeds can take weeks and even months to germinate. I have had some pots take six months or more. In terms of lowlanders, your posted conditions are more than satisfactory . . .

The seed i'm receiving is about 1 month old, I also failed to mention that my medium is a 50/50 mix of LFS and orchid bark.

The seed i'm receiving is about 1 month old, I also failed to mention that my medium is a 50/50 mix of LFS and orchid bark.

Sow the seeds immediately upon arrival, and your mix seems to be OK -- any variation with LFS and something to encourage drainage will work. Many growers -- including me -- use milled sphagnum (to prevent damping-off disease) or similar mixes with peat and perlite. If the seeds are from lowlanders, do not refrigerate them. That is likley to kill them . . .

Is there any way to keep fungus from attacking the seeds? That always seem to be my main problem : /
It doesnt get on the medium, just the seeds.

Try dabbing the medium with rubbing alcohol where fungus is developing with a Q-Tip. Although not a permanent solution, I use the method frequently, and have noticed no ill-effects.

Back