What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp update

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Hey guys, I got my amp spotted a while ago at the NECPS show. It has put on some size if I do say so myself. Is it normal for some pitchers to be dark red while others have almost no red? ??? Any way I am very happy with it! :-D

before:
plants045.jpg

now:
plants003-1.jpg

plants005-1.jpg

plants006-1.jpg

Hey nice amp...Mine is about half the size of yours and making maybe 1 " pitchers and below..Mine was barerooted and it didn't even stop growth

Ken

My old plain green form N. amp would turn a really nice pinkish color as the pitchers aged. If the humidity held the pitchers would stay pink and very slowly dry up looking pretty all the while. Allow the main plant to grow into a long vine and then the pot will fill up with the "carpet" of pitchers like you see in the nature photographs, Big 2" pitchers and tiny little 1" rosettes. But if you grow a big pot of N. ampullaria and cut the vine off one or more of the tiny rosettes will start to form a big vine to replace the lost one. If when you transplant to a bigger pot, you move to a 8" and then larger diameter azalea pot (wide but shallow) the ampularia will be able to show itself off by spreading horizontally across the soil surface. That's the way I like to see them, as a ground cover! :)
Give it lots of light to get new growth to be as colorful as possible. Even so called low light Nepenthes will appreciate nice bright light when it's artificial. I grew a couple humongous N. bicalcaratas, a giant Miranda and truncata rather quickly (a couple years) under the blast of a 400W metal halide.

Neat-o! I love amps. I would really like to get one myself, but I don't feel like getting more plants. :x

I really want an all red/purple one but I also like the one that's all green with just a bright red peristome. Like some joker went and put lipstick on 'em! :-D

Nice Speckeld amp
very nice

Neat-o! I love amps. I would really like to get one myself, but I don't feel like getting more plants. :x

GASP!!!!!!! Sacrilege! No more plants!?!? You're talking craaaaaaaaazy
man. :banana2:

Back