What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey everyone!

After 2 months of waiting for my Borneo Exotic order to arrive, I finally got them, here are my two brand spanking new neps

I am very happy with Spectabilis x Aristolochioides

DSC01708.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

N. Lady Pauline (Talangensis x Maxima) Nothing special yet, but she'll be a beaut.
DSC01710.jpg

I'm also expecting a hamata in the next few weeks, enjoy!

Lady Pauline is actually a male :\
sadly lol...
nice plants, good luck with them carni

we'll then she er.. him should be called N. Sir Paul, well... i guess I'll have to return this pink dress.

i wish it was a female...its a gorgeous hybrid :|

Agreed, Kris. :x

Congratulations, Carn. :)

i wish it was a female...its a gorgeous hybrid :|

Well, I've got 7 baby N. Maximas from seed. One of them is bound to be a girl. We can cross my maxima with you talangensis someday, and hopefully get a female grex of lady pauline.

yeah...Lady Pauline is the cultivar though, not likely we will get one like the cross made by Rob

yep it has to be crossed with the same clones as the Lady pauline in order to be called a Lady Pauline , if i am not mistaken
Nice plants C12

Daren

It has to be propagated vegitatively to still be a N. 'Lady Pauline.' Everything else is just N. talangensis x maxima.

xvart.

Yeah, the grex should be renamed LOL

Spectabilis x Aristolochioides is an amazing hybrid....

I should get one sometime.

yep it has to be crossed with the same clones as the Lady pauline in order to be called a Lady Pauline , if i am not mistaken

It has to be propagated vegitatively to still be a N. 'Lady Pauline.' Everything else is just N. talangensis x maxima.

Have to hop in real quick. Unfortunately this is not true. Cultivars are not based (directly) on genetics, but rather by description. So, if it fits the description and has the defining features, it doesn't really matter what the parents were, you can call it by the cultivar name. But as SK said:

not likely we will get one like the cross made by Rob

Kinda sucks, but until there's a way to reliably + quickly test the DNA of our plants, that's the way it is.

It's a bit pedantic, but just to get the record straight as this seems to come up every now and then. Cultivar is not based on _exact_ genetics, only in genetic expression (the way the plant looks.)

congrats Daniel. They are fantastic plants. :)

Only two?? Don't you have to order $500 per order from BE anymore? I know that was a drop down from the earlier $1000 minimum.

If you think two months is a long time try ordering from Wistuba, six months is a fast order for plants listed as "available now"! lol! Only place for some neat goodies though, so no bother, they'll eventually come. We've gotta have zen like patience to grow these things anyway! lol!

No it was a special order, my nursery offered uds an opportunity to get our own plants along with their large nep order to re-stock

Good choices. I have both and they are among my favorites. Lady Pauline never fails to impress me; the pitchers get surprisingly big, it pitchers very prolifically and is such an adaptable nep, and I love the color changes - at first the peristome is quite scarlet, but in a few weeks it's a deep purple/black, and the peristome stays flared for so long. To think I almost didn't get this plant...

And spec x aristo should prove to be fantastic when mature. Even when small it shows so much potential. I've seen pics of EP's mature plants and they look great - can't wait to see how BE's turns out.

Back