What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. thorelii x ??? Caveat Dialup-useor

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
Hey everybody,

This was the first Nepenthes I was ever able to raise from seed and it has quickly grown to become one of my favorites. I obtained the seed from a very generous seed give away on another forum and am still indebted to my friend!

2513666027_010e68719a.jpg

2513667007_cccac35722.jpg

2513666245_05dc6e178d.jpg

Thorelii, kuchingensis, gentle are the three possibilities for the male parent and I still have no idea which it is. The female parent can be found here: http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z64/wanakorn/Nepenthes/N-21.jpg

I only had one plant survive out of all the seeds that I received but it doesn't look like that is going to be a problem because at the age of 13 months this plant has already produced two basals.

3311827771_af05bc2d58.jpg

On top of that the foliage gets a brilliant blood red in minimal light.

3308769117_28b4b7852b.jpg

3309597050_50b5f6e3e6.jpg

And for the finale the pitchers:

3432954902_5da3432260.jpg

Originally the pitcher color wasn't that great but now it is this wonderful pink with a white peristome and spotted throat...

And doing fine in intermediate conditions no less!

3432145619_3a585a4292_o.jpg

If any one has any idea as to an ID I would be ecstatic. If not I'm still happy with it being my little mutt.

Thanks for looking,
-J.P.

I don't have any ideas about the ID, sorry, but thanks for sharing the great pictures.

The donator of the seed thinks it is thorelii x thorelii but I'm not sure. Probably is but I haven't seen any that look like this...

Nepenthes thorelii isn't in cultivation. In fact, the plants can't even be found in the wild.

Indochinese Nepenthes is something confusing indeed. Most N. thorelli in cultivation are N. bokorensis x ? or some form of N. mirablis, N. anamensis, or N. smilesii (The two latter may all be considered N. mirabilis).

I know I'm just not on top of all that yet. I have not yet heard what species the seed donor actually has so for now I'm just sticking with a tentative thorelii as I'm sure most people are.

It is probably Nepenthes (bokorensis x ?) x (bokorensis x ?)

Back