What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ampullaria seeds

Hay all,

I am getting some Nepenthes Ampullaria seeds , the problem is that it is approaching winter.
What should I do?

- Plant them now (temps get from 5 to 10 C (41 to 50 F)
- Put them in the fridge for 5 weeks for stratifying and then plant them (Do they need cold stratifying?)
- Leave them in the bag and put it in the fridge until spring then stratify

This is my first time growing a Nepenthes so any advice would be great

Sow them as soon as possible, they do not need stratifcation and it would probably kill them. They will give you the best results is sown immediately. The time of year has no bearing on their germination. If this is your first experience with neps prepare to be disapointed, they will be very small for several years and will not produce any interesting pitchers for at least 6 months.

I agree with Mr. T sow them right when you get them. I have had little luck with neps seeds. But I wish you luck and let us know how it goes? Whay type of amp seed are you getting?

I would really recommend you get those temps up too... N. amp likes it warm. I think I'd aim for 75-85f somewhere.

Andrew

I would really recommend you get those temps up too... N. amp likes it warm. I think I'd aim for 75-85f somewhere.

It gets over 100f in the summer
(should I cover them over the winter?)

I am getting two different kinds

Nepenthes ampullaria Green
ampullaria.jpg

and
Nepenthes ampullaria Green X ampullaria
(can't find an image)

Thanks for the advice, would planting in pure peatmoss be ok?

Sure, but once they germinate and start growing they will need an airier mix. Like perlite:sand: peat or spaghnum:bark.

You aren't going to have much luck if any at all germinating these outdoors unless you live in a tropical climate. Set up a proper lowland terrarium, and then be prepared to wait up to three months or longer for your first sprouts.

You aren't going to have much luck if any at all germinating these outdoors unless you live in a tropical climate. Set up a proper lowland terrarium, and then be prepared to wait up to three months or longer for your first sprouts.

Would you recomend germinating them inside (temps are 20c, 77f)

Sow them as soon as possible, they do not need stratifcation and it would probably kill them. They will give you the best results is sown immediately. The time of year has no bearing on their germination. If this is your first experience with neps prepare to be disapointed, they will be very small for several years and will not produce any interesting pitchers for at least 6 months.

right to a certain degree.
they wont stay small for too long
Amp, as a very vigorous fast growing lowlander, will increase in size quite rapidly.
Ive seen 2 year old amp plants near vining stage.
-Kris

EDIT:
Also these plants cant be grown in regular potting soil
even for just germinating
i suggest a mix of fine milled live sphagnum, peat, and sand in a 1:1:1 ratio :)

N. ampullaria is a fast growing lowlander/ultra lowlander which does best in high temps/humidity. Although some have good results growing amps in intermediate/highland conditions. Your best chance is to start the seeds in a seed tray of ground LFS indoors in a covered lowland terrarium with 3 or 4 T8's for lighting. I currently have 3 seedgrown amps that are a little over 2 yrs. old. They are already vining and producing basal pitchers. They outgrew a 60 gal. terrarium about 6 months ago. Had to move into the lowland greenhouse next to my seedling N. bicalcarata's which are right at 2 yrs old also and huge. Although they do not grow as fast as N. bicalcarata, they still put on size fairly fast.
Also be prepared for a fairly long wait for seed to germinate unless the seed is extremely fresh. Mine took about 8 months to germinate. If fresh seed 1-3 months normally, but with low temps may take longer/never germinate. The key is to give them solid lowland conditions. Very easy to grow.

Trigon,

Try putting them in places where heat is generated. On top of lights, heater etc. I live in typical lowland conditions year round and fresh N. ampullaria seeds would germinate in ~18 days in temperatures above 30C.

You can also put them in a covered box and set a incandescent bulb above it.

Thank you everyone for the advice,

The seeds arrived today (did not realise how long they were).

I am going to plant them on pure peat moss (for now), they will be grown inside next to a window inside a clear container:

Something like this
1010065690.jpg

Temps inside should be between 25c to 28c (77f to 82.4f) during the winter.

Should I leave the lid on container until they germinate?

Or maybe put the small container in a larger container (about 3 times the size as the one above) with the lid on.

Clear%20Medium%20Storage%20Box.JPG

Hopefully this will keep the heat in.

Sadly I can't use any lights, terrariums or any other electronic device, but I think the house should be warm enough for them.

Ill let you all know if any germinate.

Again thanks for the help.

Back