What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Customs Question

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have had any experience ordering plants into Australia? I know from experience how strict our customs can be, but have never had plants brought in before and am looking to find out if it is worth the hassle, or wether other growers experience is that it isn't.

Thanks in advance

John

I've only ever ordered seeds from Australia. It wasn't too much work, but it was expensive!

I'd assume that and from what I've heard the regulations are very strict because of the biodiversity and endemic species that could be threatened by invasives.

I'd say it's not worth the hassel. Can't you just visit Triffid Park or Exotica?

To the best of my knowledge, the only way you can get live plant material into Australia is to bring in unopened sterile TC flasks and have all the necessary paperwork. And not many out of Aus vendors sell sterile flasks.

Hmm, well, sounds like it's not worth the bother.

In answer to your question Jeff, I have bought a lot of plants from within Australia, but, inevitably, there are some worth collecting which don't seem to be available in the country. Sad. Cost isn't so much of an issue but I had a feeling customs would be the hurdle I would be unable to navigate, and it seems that is the case.

Oh well! Shall just have to wait until Australian vendors start stocking the plants I'd like!

Thanks for the help

Trigon, I was wondering about that myself, though a quick look at the Australian Customs page shows that seed are on the list of things which are prohibited to bring in.

I've had seed sent to me before, but i think the fact it got through was an oversight on Customs part more than anything.

Has anyone had experience bringing nep seed into the country?

There is an online shop (in the US) that sell seed and they can send seeds to Australia as they pre clear the seeds with customs. I have ordered quite a few seeds from them ALL passed customs.

List of CARNIVOROUS seeds that they sell.
----------------------------------
CARNIVOROUS Nepenthes TROPICAL PITCHER PLANT.
Cobra Lily CARNIVOROUS COBRA Pitcher Plant (Darlingtonia californica).
HOODED CARNIVOROUS Pitcher Plant -RARE Sarracenia minor.
PARROT PITCHER PLANT Sarracenia psittacina.
Purple Pitcher HARDIEST CARNIVOROUS PLANT Sarracenia purpurea.
Purple Pitcher Plant CARNIVOROUS Sarracenia purpurea venosa.
Sarracenia alata (Pale Pitcher Plant).
Sarracenia flava (Yellow Trumpet Plant).
Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea muscipula).
White Top Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia leucophylla).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ill pm you the link and you can have a look

It is the Australian Quarantine Service that you must negotiate, Customs has little to nothing to do with the importation of seed, unless they are narcotics or CITES listed.

The seed of many CP species may be imported into Australia. The exceptions are Utricularia, Genlisea & a range of Drosera seed. All non-CITES listed Nepenthes seed is permitted.

Plant material may be imported as either TC flasks or live plants that spend a period of time at a Post Entry Quarantine Nursery. This is expensive and depending upon the type of plant, there may be losses.

Ah excellent, thanks guys.

Sean, I didn't realise there was a difference between the quarantine service and customs, although I suppose it makes sense. For some reason i thought that quarantine was simply a job customs did when things came through, rather than a seperate body.

Glad I know all that now though, thanks again

Back