What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

short and tubby

N. ventricosa x (ventricosa x talangensis) is the cross. There seems to be a fair amount of variability in this cross with color. No surprise since it is not a primary cross
The intriguing aspect is that many of them are quite squat and wide in pitcher shape. Some of them dramatically so! It has become even more pronounced as the plants get larger and more mature.

Fairly typical example for color and shape. They can get alot darker or lighter and alot wider!
NventredXventredxtalang1CR.jpg

How about this guy?? The constricted pitcher opening adds to the effect :0o: This is the only one that i have seen that has the significantly smaller pitcher opening
NventXventxtal.jpg

Wow, I love the last pictures. Probably the most tubby pitchers I've seen.

Very nice, you should name the second one Botero, after the Colombian artist.

ya this is one of my favorite Neps i grow because it is extreamly vigorous and fast growning. i just recently had it flower and it was a male. please post some other pics of the nep and i will post some pics of mine.

Oh, this isn't a self description thread? :D

Should be a new hybrid: N. 'Sumo'

I like it a lot.

Jason

A new crisis has arrised in the world of nepenthes, we thought they were safe, but no, now there are cases of OBESE nepenthes being seen! What are you feeding them man??

Wow such tubby pitchers and nice coloration on them.

Oh, this isn't a self description thread? :D

Should be a new hybrid: N. 'Sumo'

I like it a lot.

Jason

HAHA you guys are funny :-P-:

Although after the barbecue ribs for dinner you might be half right!

N. Sumo.. I like it!

Adam- feel free to post up yours. Would love to check it out. I will try and dig out some others to photograph.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say it has some sibuyanensis in it!

I like lambdlth's name for it...

Here is some of the variability I've seen in mine:
P1030525.jpg

P1040040.jpg

P1070591.jpg

of course, the uncle looks pretty good too.
P1080039.jpg

ventricosa x talangensis

I love just the ventricosa x talangensis! Seems like talangensis makes a really good cross.

Wow, what interesting variability. It seems like they took a lot of the coloration from the ventricosa parentage. This certainly proves why seed grown material is so awesome.

Seedgrown material are made of win. :D srduggins, those are absolutely amazing.

Looking Good Steve! i agree the pollen donor N. ventricosa red x talangensis were quite nice in their own right. One of those crosses that seems to get the best traits from both parents. I still have a couple floating around the greenhouse

N. ventricosa red x talangensis
This one is a lighter clone. Thought this was neat with the size of the pitcher compared to the plant next to it.
ventricosaXtalangensis1.jpg

A darker clone.
ventricosaXtalangensis2.jpg

And just to add to the pile.. one of the darker N. ventricosa x (vent. x tal.) plants. This one is more typical in shape but with a little more flair up towards the peristome.
ventXventxtal3.jpg

I think with the comparing of the one parent with several of the offspring you can see how it's possible to produce the range of pitcher shapes in the offspring that we encounter.
Most of the offspring tend to lean towards a N. ventricosa shape with a bulbous base, some constriction in the middle and the upper part of the pitcher roughly about the same size as the base. Not surprising since there are two doses of N. ventricosa.

N. talangensis however can significantly reduce or eliminate the constriction in the middle as well as make the upper portion the widest part.

So what happens if you combine the fat bulbous base from N. ventricosa. Eliminate the constriction in the middle. And add the wide top portion? Short and tubby! hehe

I always find this type of comparison fascinating. One of the reasons I like ordering more than 1 seed grown hybrid. Is there room in this discussion for a cousin?

ventricosa x (talangensis x carunculata):
P1060007.jpg

P1070217.jpg

P1030521.jpg

I think these are form a different mother, the squat form of venticosa, but they have the same amount of talangensis.

Back