What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying a new soil mix

I have a few Nepenthes in my classroom. They have been in LFS and have done so so. I decided I would experiment with them with a soil mix and I was wondering if anyone has tried this before.

I have a worm farm compost bin. I took worm castings to mix in with the peat and peralite. The worm castings are very dark and rich and are supposed to be full of beneficial bacteria and microbes.

Castings/Peat/Peralite - 1/1/2

I will let you know if it works out or if you should avoid this. :D

My initial instinct is to shout "NO!" and jump in front of you so you don't kill your plants. As far as my understanding goes, nepenthes enjoy a diluted foliar feeding now and then, but I'm not sure about soil fertilization.

I'll let someone with more experience have the final say though.

Jason

my gut is shouting "BAD idea!"

The microbe idea was a well founded one, but they will fail to take hold and eventually die in the acidic environment of Nep media. THe excess soil nutrients will burn the nep, which is adapted to very poor soils. Very, very frequent waters may fix this.

But who knows, we may get suprised!

I also want to scream no.....
As frankie said, the excess nutrients would probably tick the plants off.....

The microbes are already in a very acidic environment. The base is coir/peat that has been digested by worms, thus leaving the good bacteria.

I plan on doing full flushes with every watering. I like to experiment. I will let you know. It is only a couple of N. ventricosa.

Wouldn't the be producing minerlas and such? They release minerals in their waste material, I don't think that would be too good. Poor Venricosas always the guinea pigs :(

I can say I am hesitant too but heck I'm thinking about mixing in burnt and baked coffee grounds into my media next time so in the name of science I think a few ventricosa can take one for the team. If that happens there are plenty of people on here who would probably ship out cuttings. Good luck!

So what were the results?

Back