What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

variation in spathulata x (lowii x ventricosa)

Well if you didn't like spectabilis x (lowii x ventricosa), perhaps you'll like this one better. Although, from the
species involved, you might expect the other hybrid to be more spectacular. Just consider spectabilis x veitchii
and spathulata x veitchii. Sometimes you just don't know how different species might interact. Who woulda
thought the "lowly" ventricosa would interact so well with lowii. Sure, in hindsight, they both have a constricted
waist and adding a toothy peristome to a lowii upper sounds like a winner. I just think a lot of people don't consider
ventricosa to be their first choice when making hybrids. OK, I'm way off topic now.

This spathulata x (lowii x ventricosa) looks a lot like the spathulata x ventricosa right next to it.
P1090766.jpg
P1090767.jpg

right now, but wait until the lowii influence is seen in the upper pitchers.

This clone of spathulata x (lowii x ventricosa) is showing a nice striped peristome and good potential in the pitcher body color:
P1090762.jpg

But it is this clone that makes me really thankful I got 3 different clones. While the rather consistant
spectabilis x (lowii x ventricosa) may usually look better than these other clones, I believe this clone
will top them all.
P1090745.jpg

You might get lucky, but the odds increase the more clones you get. Plus the other clones add variety and will look stunning as they mature too. This type of variation with only 3 species involved is one reason why I prefer to grow hybrids.

You just keep posting pictures of fascinating hybrids!

Thanks for sharing.

And that's an order Mr.! ;)

those are nice plants. thanks for posting. could you please post more pics of any hybrid you have. please

I love the peristome on spathulata x ventricosa.

Jason

Looks like there isn't as much variation as I initially thought. Remember this clone?
P1090763.jpg

Here is the latest pitcher:
P1100594.jpg

It's looking a lot like my favorite clone!
P1100598.jpg

That's a big difference in pitchers. How long was the time in between that same clone?

Ventricosa is a very underappreciated nep, i have one, and I love it, it makes great hybrids!

Well, it´s still good looking!

A little over a month between pictures, but the older picture was of an older pitcher and the newer picture is of a new pitcher. So basically the difference is between late winter and spring. We are getting much better light these days.

Another month, another set of pitchers:
P1110232.jpg

Back