What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
I've been kind of quiet lately, and thought I'd post some pics up that I took recently. It's nice to be able to combine my love of both photography and CPs. I set up a black backdrop, and used filtered sunlight through the blinds behind me for natural colors. Camera was set to 'vivid', which these are. Used digital macro zoom on most, so there is a little noise.

Anyway, here's some of my better looking neps at the moment. Most of my collection is young, but a few are starting to gain a lil size. On to the pics. Hope you like!!

Young singalana. Pitcher is about 3 inches. The peristome slowly darkens from the outside first, and in a few weeks the whole peristome will be a dark bronze color. Fairly slow plant for me.
IMG_8026.jpg

IMG_8025.jpg

IMG_8027.jpg

Muluensis x lowii. This one took ages to adjust, and is finally putting out nice pitchers, and is actually growing at a moderate pace.
IMG_8038.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

IMG_8034.jpg

Baby hamata next. The pitchers are barely an inch, but are showing some promise already. Fairly moderate grower. I love the hairy lid.
IMG_8046.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_8050.jpg

Small jacquelinae. Grows moderately fast. My particular plant seems sensitive to humidity drops. The pitchers are finally starting to show a little color.
IMG_8052.jpg

IMG_8054.jpg

Izumiae x trusmadiensis. Vigorous grower, and great dark pitchers. They open up a raspberry color, and gradually turn almost black. The lid is also vaulted. I'm loving this one, and cannot wait for it to mature.
IMG_8057.jpg

IMG_8061.jpg

IMG_8063.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg

IMG_8066.jpg

Inermis x ventricosa. This one also took ages and ages to adjust, which surprised me. But now it's really taken off in growing speed. The pitchers open with a vibrant scarlet peristome that I absolutely love! It's a great contrast to the lighter pitcher. Over time though, the peristomes lose their color and fade to look quite bland.
IMG_8069.jpg

IMG_8071.jpg

IMG_8077.jpg

Next is a dark red sanguinea. This plant has perplexed me..It came to a grinding halt after getting it. Then after a few months threw out a couple deformed pitchers that were very small. Then it finally started growing, and is now putting out decent pitchers. But, it isn't growing all that fast, and the leaves are staying small. They do get a nice red blush to them though, and the pitchers are increasing in size slowly.
IMG_8078.jpg

IMG_8080.jpg

Here is my talangensis x veitchii. Fairly vigorous, and starts out with great color that gets real vibrant for a while, then fades as the pitcher ages. For some reason, sooty mold LOVES to grow on the peristomes of this plant.
IMG_8085.jpg

IMG_8086.jpg

IMG_8090.jpg

IMG_8091.jpg

Now for spectabilis x aristolochioides. Very vigorous, pitchers easily, doesn't miss a beat. Pitchers open with a lot of red in them and lightly striped peristomes, then quickly darken. One of my favorite neps at this time.
IMG_8092.jpg

IMG_8096.jpg

IMG_8099.jpg

IMG_8102.jpg

This glabrata took its sweet time adjusting also. Then it suddenly inflated a bunch of pitchers at once, and now has backed off a bit. This latest pitcher has been the largest and most colorful so far. It recently started vining and its growth rate really picked up and is now one of my fasted growing neps.
IMG_8104.jpg

IMG_8107.jpg

IMG_8108.jpg

Spectabilis x mira. This plant arrived in horrible shape. It's first couple pitchers were very disappointing. But it's now put out a few nice ones and shows great potential. Each pitcher gets a little bit wider opening and gets a little more squat. This pitcher will be the last one for some time, the growth tip was a mess upon arrival, and is just now after nearly a year starting to put out a few mangled leaves.
IMG_8109.jpg

IMG_8113.jpg

IMG_8114.jpg

Here is my young spectabilis north Sumatra clone. The latest pitcher is just shy of 5". I can't wait to see the colors as this plant matures. I know some of you have older plants of this that look fantastic.
IMG_8121.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

Next is the stunning thorelii x (spectabilis x northiana). One of my favorites also. This one never skipped a beat, and is quite vigorous. It has more than double in size in a year. Pitchers inflate quickly and last a while on long tendrils. The leaves also have a lot of red in them. This one has a basal that is growing quite fast also. I think the colors on these pitchers are amazing. Opens with a lot of yellow and red stripes, then the peristome gradually gets overall a deeper red. Fantastic!
IMG_8126.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

IMG_8128.jpg

IMG_8133.jpg

Here's old faithful herself, Lady Pauline. This one also never skips a beat, grows fast, pitchers easily. And it's finally throwing out a basal. It's just starting to increase internode distance, so vining will be soon. I love these pitchers most soon after opening, when the peristomes are flared wide and are of a bright scarlet color. Then the whole pitcher gets dark.
IMG_8137.jpg

IMG_8139.jpg

IMG_8143.jpg

Awesome! Just a great lineup of healthy specimens. I loved every pic, my fave being the izumae x TM.

Five stars, every photograph is expertly taken.

Great plants! I couldn't wait to see what the next picture was, they just kept getting better. Really nice izumae x TM --> really love the vaulted lid. Your spectabilis x mira is also stunning. What conditions give you such nice looking plants?

Great looking sphagnum!

Very, very nice. Love that spectabilis x mira. Very well grown.

I'm sure that wasn't 2000 pics :D It was likz 45s.

your plants are beuftifcul -made me forget how to spell!- I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the thorelli x (spec x northiana)
@ Thorelli x spec x northiana -Will you marry me ? :3-

Beautiful, I love your spec x aristo!

Great plants, and Great photography

good job!

Beautiful!!!!!! Thanks for sharing; can't wait to see more......

Very nice pics. If your ventricosa x inermis is anything like mine, it will stop losing its color and show even more vigor over time. Mine used to be kind of finicky and colorless, but I gave it a big pot (shortly thereafter it began vining,) and I've also put it in a spot where it gets very bright artificial light all day and several hours of morning sun. I'm not sure which change caused the change in coloration, but the pitchers now come out orange with an almost crimson peristome whereas they used to be that yellow/pink blush with a brighter peristome. The leaves themselves have also become darker. It definitely gets better with age.
~Joe

Valydius the First one is N. Hamata, the second Spectabilis x aristolochioides

Holy bajesus. By far one of the best picture thread I've ever seen. They're all so healthy and gorgeous. That spect x aristo of yours is great.

Bravo!

I've eyed the muluensis x lowii before and am curious about your conditions that caused it to have difficulty adjusting.

I may bring my little Lady Pauline in to show her what she can be if she only applies herself.

Wow, what a great collection. All super high quality plants!

Jason

Glad you liked them! These are all grown on racks under four T8's. Humidity is about 60% in the day, 80% at night. Temps usually 58-80F, but with warming weather lately it's been about 3 degrees warmer on each end.

Not sure why it took so long for some to adjust in those conditions. I look forward to the time my plants are as mature ss some of your guys' plants. I have a 1" seedling of lowii that should have uppers in about 8 years or so...I'll be sure to make a pic thread for that one lol.

Honestly, the single toughest plant for me to grow successfully is the sphagnum. Under the conditions listed above, I must be sure to spray it down each and every day - the exception being the thicker moss in the spec x aristo pot. So hopefully the rest will continue to fluff up 'cause it's a pain to spray so much.

Hey seedjar, good to hear that the inermis x vent (or the other way around) will get better. I actually received this plant as a mistake, otherwise I wouldn't have picked it up. But I'm glad I have it as I'm loving the color. Interesting that its more colorful than my ventricosa 'red'.

Gorgeous pictures, expertly taken. That is a wonderful collection! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Great looking sphagnum!

LOL.

xvart.

Back