What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. gracilis nigropurpurea cutting flowering

Hi all
Has anyone had this happen to them? I took a couple of cuttings from my N. gracilis nigropurpurea 6 months ago. Ive been really busy and just had the cuttings sitting in water in my lowland terrarium. Well I was finally replacing the fan in the terrarium and I noticed that one of the cuttings that has grown to about a foot and a half is flowering. It looks crappy because the fan has been broken for a couple of months so I was wondering if the less than ideal conditions could of caused it to flower.

I’m also wondering if I should pot it up or just leave it alone?

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

Nice flower! show us pics as it develops.

You could probably pot that up right now, the roots seem to have developed enough.

You should pot it up.

usually when cuttings flower its because they were stressed and thats a last dich effort to continue its lineage. Those roots look rather healthy though! And is that a female?!

Don't bother potting it up, just send it to me bareroot, lol.

Seriously, pot it up, it looks fine.

thanks everyone.

alright i potted it up.

And is that a female?!
Its to small i cant tell yet. ???
i hope so. ive got 4 rooted cuttings to trade away soon. it will be nice to be able to tell people what they are getting. ill post more pics when it starts to open.
thanks
d

Its a boy!

hi all
its a boy. i was so hoping for a girl and the chance to make some seed. sorry it took me so long to get a pic.
IMG_2092.jpg

Ive also got a red alata cutting doing the same thing(also a boy) but that one has no roots yet. im thinking i should cut that one.
It would be really nice to figure out a way to force this to happen. come up with a way to identify the sex of a plant from a cutting as soon as it starts to vine.
what time of year do n.alata and n.gracilis normally flower? is this there natural time of year?
thanks
d

Those are gorgeous flowers! Beautiful coloration.

xvart.

I second that. Those are really nice nepenthes flowers. Some of the best I´ve seen.

Back