What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing these outside in Southern California

Is it possible to grow any of these outside in southern california.. to be more exact, in the high desert? or should i just stick to the american pitchers..

grow what? o.o

I am having decent luck growing some hardened Nepenthes outside in New Mexico's high-elevation desert. The trick is to keep them in the shade so they only get diffused sunlight, have them hardened off to low humidity before sticking them out there, and making sure that the nights aren't too cold for some species.

OH its in the nepenthes section that means- nepenthes ahah im so funny.

Yea some of them can. My ventrata was outside for winter but it got rash but it was still fine. Maybe some highlanders ?

well right now i have a ventricosa red. but i was hoping to get a Truncata and a Maranda

Those should do fine outside, as long as they haven't been growing in very high humidity environments prior to being put outside.

Hey Spintix,

Are you in the Mojave region? I live in Palmdale right up against the San Gabriel's. Once winter weather comes along, you'll have to definitely bring them inside. Winter brings nightly frosts and cold wind that Neps cannot handle. Expects lows into the 20's. So be prepared to have a place set indoors for them. I don't have the courage to try Nepenthes in this environment...

Temperate CPs like Sarrs and flytraps do really well for me here. I just protect them when it gets too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

Good luck!

Back