What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Struggling with my Nep Rafflesiana

I have a N. Rafflesiana I got a few months back that is not doing so well now. I have it in 1:1 peat to perlite and have it outside (I live in Washington, DC) where it gets a good amount of sun (6hrs at least). i top water it every other day or so (I read somewhere these shouldn't be in water trays).

It is turning yellow and some of the leaves are browning. Am disheartened because i got it thinking it would be an easy nep to grow but i am doing something wrong. Any help suggestions would be most welcome.

Daniel

I would assume your soil mix is to compact and wet. Neps love a open well drained soil. I use orchid bark, pumice, vermiculite, peralite, charcol, LFS, and peat moss. with a top coating of LFS for humidity. It works great for me. I would re-plant it in a more open soil.

Actually I woudlnt think the soil is an issue, I'd actually think its more of a temperature thing...the northeast has nights that are generally pretty cool, and as a lowlander, raff loves warm and humid nights....though it is one of the most forgiving lowlanders when it comes to cool nights, but I'd venture a guess that that is part of your issue....

Didn't even think of that one, nice catch! You could be right! We both could be right! Do you grow your Nep's in a 1:1 peat/perlite mix? Just curious :)

I was going to suggest either...

-- temps to low (mirror SirK)
-- yellowing leaves is often a sign of overwatering in many plants
-- maybe too much sunlight is damaging the leaves. Leaves left in full-sun will often get a brown/tan color to them, but not yellow from my experience. Try putting the plant somewhere a little more shady.

Just my 2 cents.

What they said. Lol. N. rafflesiana is a lowlander, so it probably won´t enjoy the cool weather of DC.

i have a couple of plants in peat/perlite/vermiculite...i had a few in basic peat and perlite before and they did fine.....I think peat just inhibits root development in some species.

i have mine in peat perlite about 1:1 or more perlite for quicker drainage, i just started using vermiculite in my pots and so far they seem to be doing good, i water mine every 4th day if its not been a really hot 4 days and they gets shaded/direct am sun with a short amount of pm direct sun too

thanks everyone for the tips! so what i will do is repot the nep with a mix of peat/perlite and some sphagnum moss to loosen up the soil a bit, try to shade it a little more and not water as much. Does that sound ok?

Also, DC this time of year begins to get really hot and humid, so should be great for my nep, right?! LOL

If it's hot and humid during the day I would think that this would be fine for your raffl but some lowlanders do not like temps below 70F at night. This seems to be the case with my rafflesianas as well. Though they can take temp differences from 95F to 70F, rafflesiana seem to not enjoy cooler night temps.

Back