What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some nepenthes pics

Here are some of my plants
Sanguinea
DSCN2010.jpg

This one is labeled as Alata from Deroose plants, but someone told me it might be ventrata instead. What do you guys think, and how can you tell the difference?
DSCN2012.jpg

DSCN1997.jpg

Miranda
DSCN1999.jpg

DSCN1998.jpg

Greenhouse pic
DSCN1996.jpg

yep deroose alata is ventrata. nice plants :)
looks like youve got quite a few of those alatas and mirandas hanging around in there.

Not really anymore, I sell them at a local Farmer's Market and I'm about out now. I'm getting ready to order some more though. So how can you tell an alata from a ventrata, and why would they have their plants mislabeled?

Alata and Ventrata are very commonly mislabeled....

Wow, you have a veritable jungle in there!

Woah! When i open up my cp nursery (if all goes well) i will start with some of these baskets

This one is labeled as Alata from Deroose plants, but someone told me it might be ventrata instead. What do you guys think, and how can you tell the difference?
I think it can be called ventrata since it is a mix between ventricosa and alata although it is slightly different from what most people would define as xVentrata.

Alata DeRoose I believe is alata x (alata x ventricosa) and xVentrata is alata x ventricosa. I have a DeRoose alata but it was also called xVentrata in the description when I purchased it from an Online nursery. The label on the plant did describe it as alata x (alata x ventricosa) though.
Not a nep expert, just my observations.

Mine has turned into a shrub in the year and a half I have had it. It has 1 3ft vine and 2 2ft vines along with 3 basals. A real beast!

You can just tell if it´s a ventrata/Deroose alata. The pitchers are usually red on top and green on the bottom, but they can be all red. The leaves are also easy to tell from other Nepenthes.

Can't really base off of pitchers but the leafshape and leaf attachment give you the biggest clues....that and a male flower as well I think.

yep deroose alata is ventrata. nice plants :)
looks like youve got quite a few of those alatas and mirandas hanging around in there.

DeRoose's Alata is not x. ventrata. It's N. alata x x. ventrata. It's called "Alata" (notice the capital A) because DeRoose names their hybrids after the mother plant.
~Joe

PS - Er, looks like dashman got it... I just keep getting ninja'd today.

Names hybrids after the mother plant? Cite your source!

DeRoose's Alata is not x. ventrata. It's N. alata x x. ventrata. It's called "Alata" (notice the capital A) because DeRoose names their hybrids after the mother plant.
~Joe

PS - Er, looks like dashman got it... I just keep getting ninja'd today.

Okay, thanks guys! That is helpful. I have one ending on ebay today and I have it listed as an Alata. I hope that isn't going to come back and bite me. I was going by what Deroose told me. The pictures are plain and very clear to see, so I guess if there are any questions they should have asked before bidding.

I normally go to the local Farmer's Market to sell these, but it is 103 degrees outside right now and I don't have a tent anymore. Me and the plants both need some shade if we are going to sit out there all day. The last time I did it with no shade over the plants they were vey wilted and pitiful looking by the time I got them back home.

I believe I first found that tidbit either here on the forums or in Chris Creel's "Nepenthes Growing Information," a text file which circulated the listservs in the late 90s/early 2000s and was available on Barry Rice's page until he started the big overhaul a few years ago. It was also confirmed by a certain vendor that I regularly patronize when I bought one about five years ago now.
~Joe

Off of www.***************,
"This hybrid was developed by a Nepenthes grower, DeRoose, in Belgium. While most nurseries often mislabel it as Nepenthes alata, it is technically a complex hybrid, Nepenthes alata x (alata x ventricosa). We simply refer to it as DeRoose Alata since 2/3 of it's genes come from N. alata.

Regardless of what you call it, this hybrid is an excellent plant for any first-time grower. It tolerates a reasonably wide range of growing conditions and is very forgiving of mistakes. Grow this plant in a very sunny south or west window. In very bright conditions, its pitchers will turn completely red!"

IMHO calling it DeRoose Alata gives the most info to anyone knowledgeable enough to know the difference.

Just my .02

Um. wouldn't that be 3\4?

great plants! like the mirandas!

That's what I thought, unless they magically found out a way to cross three plants simultaneously. (that'd be strange)

Back