What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to repot?

I am Bob

Not really
I have few questions about one of my neps (N. X Miranda.)

1. my plant is starting to fill the pot. when should I repot? is there a certain time of year that is better than others?

2. How should I go about removing basals? I have some on this plant, and would like to split them off so I can give away.

3. How many plants should I be able to put back in the pot that they are in (plants are almost a foot in diameter, and pot is maybe 8-12 in.)

Thank you in advance for your help! :-D

1. How long ago did you plant it ?as a general rule they should be repotted once a year.
2. Cut basals with a shart blade you should wait until they have about 5 lieaves or have a good healthy size.
3. you should put you biggest mother plant in a bigger pot, and the smaller ones in a big pot aswell i suppose.

So I just cut the basal (when the plant is unpotted) away from the base of the plant?

8-12 inch pot seems like it would be fine for most plants actually. how big is the miranda in question?
if the pot is a 12" pot you shouldnt have to worry about it getting rootbound, i dont have that issue with my miranda anyway and its a couple feet in diameter...but it didnt really do anything over winter in the windowsill. seems to be alot better in my greenhouse though lol.
carni: actually repotting once a year isnt always necessary, mainly if the media contains a large amount of LFS or peat...since the two break down and compact around the root systems and can suffocate or cause rootrot.

well I think that this medium is all peat (I didn't choose the mix, it was the nursery.) what medium would you reccomend

something fast draining but holds moisture
LFS/Perlite/Orchid Bark/Peat would be fine
or what i use on most of my neps
peat/perlite/lfs/sand/osmunda fiber/orchid bark in equal portions
or you could just do lfs/perlite

SK: Thats why its a general rule :)

a general rule would cover most anything carni.
im not really going to get into a heated debate on it since it doesnt matter in this case.
if its pure peat. repot it in something better. one of the mixes above is fine. even peat/perlite/lfs but try and stay away from using peat as much as possible

I was under the impression that Neps liked LFS more than standard Peat?

Mine is growing just fine in peat+perlite, though, so who knows? :)

Back