What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No More Neps...

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    space

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
I ran out of space, so i cannot get any more neps. The space is one windowsill. I may be getting more hanging basket hooks, so i may be able to get two more, but that would be it. One i'm definately getting though is Judith Finn By Summer 2010

Are you stacking smaller neps on top of larger neps yet? Until you do that, you have plenty of space.

Jason

No... but the thing is, it's not a fancy enclosure or anything like a shelf system. It's just a small windowsill, with some pings and droseras there too. When it's summer i keep them outside though. Plus, i moved out my milkweed, so that may give me another 6-inch pot room. But they get too big, so i have enough room for the leafspan for a few years, then i will get some more

My windowsill is about 6 feet long and extremely bright. Have you ever considered growing under lights? And Jason beat me to the rest.

If you have any other windowsills in the house with the same exposure, you could try a couple of plants there.

Well, in the upstairs bathroom is the best lighting, BUT... there is hairspray from my mom everyday. I doubt that's safe for them. And once i tried using grow lights for sarrs, and they didn't work, they made deformed pitchers... and i'd have to get either a new tank or a rack, because my 30-gallon is for utrics

That's because you can't grow sarracenia under grow lights. You can grow nepenthes under them just fine.

Jason

lol i just started spreading them throughout the house, getting low on window space in my room :), but now there all outside because the weather has finally gotten to where my tropicals can thrive

Ok... cause i read in a book (a cp book) that sarrs were just fine under grow lights. Thanks for the tip. How many watts for them?I can't wait to start a grow-rack! Yipee!! More neps on the way soon!

Ok... cause i read in a book (a cp book) that sarrs were just fine under grow lights. Thanks for the tip. How many watts for them?I can't wait to start a grow-rack! Yipee!! More neps on the way soon!

What book did you read that in?

Here's a stickied thread on building a plant shelf. It you search around that forum, you'll find a lot of advice on them.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89189

Jason

carnivorous plants of the world i think. THere was an illustration where there was a plant tray, and there were sarrs and lights over them

Yes, that book does show pictures for growing plants under flouresents like that.
The smaller Sarracenia like psittacina and purps grow great under fluorescent lights and color very well. For the tall ones, there was a CPN article on growing taller Sarracenias using a HID lamp on top of a aqaurium that is standing on it's end. The aquarium had the open end covered for humidty. I might give that a try sometime.

Cheers,

Joe

Back