What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuttings Progression

• Thread starter Millipede
  • Start date
i took cuttings from my (girlfriends) nepenthe and thought id share the progress with the rest of you. im interested in seeing pictures of other peoples cuttings and progression pics too. i will be posting more as mine come along. right now they are about three weeks old.

mother plant
IMG_0699.jpg

the cuttings setup
IMG_0700.jpg

close-ups
IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

so far all of the cuttings have at least two nodes each like the two above. including the mother plant. :-D

awesome plants. I am glad that those cuttings are doing well for you. If you ever have any extra, let me know.

Very nice. I don't see a picture of the mother plant, though. I'll glady share a picture of my N. bongso cutting when I take pictures later.

Edit: That's a nice ventricosa/ventrata.

Here's my current batch of cuttings and seedlings. Hopefully, these will be ready soon.
P1100657.jpg

P1100658.jpg

P1100659.jpg

P1100660.jpg

DSC03220.jpg

Its began to grow after I left.

ahh.. the mother plant is the very first pic at the top. i couldnt find a pic of it before i cut it (i know i have one somewhere) but you can see the old stem and the two basals it made. (its a ventricosa btw) it was about two feet long when i chopped it down. my girlfriend is still mad at me :blush: ??? oh well. it should look back to normal in about a year... and she might not be mad at me anymore. women... :crazy:

those are all very nice plants btw... how can i get my seedlings to grow faster?

How interesting... So you just dice up the Neps and shove them in a nice growing media? And the mother plant will split off a new stem kinda... sideways?

I picked up some "Olivia's Cloning Gel" recently to give it a try, but I just feel so bad about chopchoping my Nep, heh.

so heres what they look like 1 month later:
these are pics of the third one down on my OP
(do they normally take this long to grow?)

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_09652.jpg

Here is my current propagation tray. I think I started it about 7 months ago, and probably 10 plants have been plucked from it already for trades and such.
Andrew

P4210209.JPG

edit: here is a picture from back close to when I started it. I added some more after that photo though.

1229082108a.jpg

thats cool. is that just moss and perlite? whats the really big leaf in the top photo?

im going to guess thats a miranda cutting Millipede
I have currently, as far as cuttings that ive rooted in the past few months,
N. xPredator
N. ventricosa x angasanensis
N. copelandii
and ive rooted a few others like ventricosa or ventrata.....

Yes, LFS and perlite, the cuttings are dipped in rooting hormone as well. That cutting is a N. rafflensiana.

Andrew

oh wow my eyes are failing me....
looked like a miranda for some reason **shrug**

Out of curiousity Andy, I was wondering why the moss on top of the perlite?

I have a similar tub using just perlite...

just curious :)

-Chris

It's not moss on perlite... It's a 50:50 mix of perlite/LFS just like I use for most of my Neps :)

Andrew

i wish i could look at the roots and see how they are progressing.. could anyone describe this to me or post pics? i dont want to disturb mine but i really want to know

When the roots 1st start to emerge, they look like this:
P1100664.jpg

Then when they're ready to transplant they look like this:
DSCF0194.jpg

and if you forget to transplant them, they look like this:
P1090879.jpg

Is that what you wanted?

exactly! thanks srduggins! :) how long did that take?

I'm guessing it was something like 1 month, 3 months, 1 year.

here are the same cuttings one year later! :-D

IMG_2416.jpg

Back