What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Splendiana x Mixta

CN

BANNED
I got this Lil guy as a freebie in a trade an was wondering who has one an are their's as dark colored as this lil guy (please post a pic ). An What are the Parents of the Splendiana side of the plant that would give this plant such dark leaves as well as pitchers?

PlantPics163.jpg

PlantPics162.jpg

PlantPics168.jpg

Thanks Daren

I love it!

Very nice coloration. Mine haven't actually seen the sun but the pitchers are coloring up similar. Nice!!

mine are about 2 inches diameter at most. cant wait til they get mature pitchers...

~billy

You must be getting pretty good lighting for the leaves to bronze up like that. Mine is in a mini-greenhouse, with a Grolite over it. This pic is a few weeks old:

Picture041-1.jpg

An What are the Parents of the Splendiana side of the plant that would give this plant such dark leaves as well as pitchers?

N. kampotiana x maxima.

I've grown a N. maxima that had very dark leaves, so it could come from there. I've never had a N. kampotiana so I have no comment from that side.

xvart.

Last edited:
Looked that one up as I have a tiny one and wanted to know the parentage.
Looked it up on Humbolt's photo finder which has moved. They listed Splendiana as anamensis x maxima,
and Mixta as northiana x maxima. If maxima is bringing the dark, it's in the parentage on both sides.

Actually, the female plant used in making Splendiana was wild collected and ID'd back in the 1980's at the University of Florida as N. kampotiana. At a later point in time, all Indochina Neps were placed under either N. mirabilis, N. thorellii or N. anamensis. Recent taxonomic work in the field has resulted in N. kampotiana being re-instated as a species, separate from N. anamensis, which is a synonym for N. smilesii.
The female plant used in making N. Splendiana by Bednar/Bramblett was either N. smilesii, or the true N. kampotiana.

I am beginning to wonder what I have got. Mine looks nothing like that although it is still young. It gets plenty of artificial light. Enough to make other neps turn colors especially my miranda whose leaves are a nice bronze color but this one is still all green. And the wings on mine are very large and stick out 2 to 3 times as much as these pics.... Hmmm.

CN,

Looks legit to me. As everyone's said, the maxima in your must just be really strong.

dashman,

The wonders of growing from seed good sire. Every one can look completely different from its siblings.

obregon562 you are correct. Seed grown plants do have variation, sometimes extreme variations. I think I got the pale kid of the bunch. Just a slight hint of red in the oldest leaf and pitcher.

Here is mine (click on link for larger image).

Here are a few pics of my N. splendiana x mixta.

My favorite of the bunch.
HPIM0742.jpg

HPIM0743.jpg

HPIM0746.jpg

Hi Folks,
Good looking seedlings! For reference purposes, this cross was made in 1986 by Bednar/Bramblett (Splendiana x Mixta Superba) and they called the grex N. Dianiana. I think we may actually have one somewhere in the greenhouse, but I recall the plants at Bruce Bednar's greenhouse back in the mid 90's as having the reddish leaves when grown in bright conditions. This attribute may have come from the kampotiana parent as well, because some of the plants brought in from overseas were very reddish in color, both leaves and pitchers.

T.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering where the more bulbous influence came from in my second pic. Seems to be some good variation in these seed grown guys. Thanks to the TF member for the seed trades !

Droseraguy,
Your squat pitchered plant reminds me of one plant Bruce has he calls "Dianiana Rex". It has large squat pitchers. I would suspect the squat shape may be the influence of N. northiana.

Back